Make room on old backup drive for new mac's backups

Reaction score
I just got a new computer and I want to use Time Machine with it like I did with my now-old mac. Trouble is, the time machine drive I used is only 500GB, and my old comp used up 300GB of it. I am still grabbing old files from it (I opted not to just transfer everything over--so I can't just reformat it), but I'd like to remove everything but the few most recent backups. I would just do it by dragging the folders to the trash in Finder, but I know TM makes hard links in later folders to files in earlier folders that haven't changed, and I don't want to screw over my backups by deleting the actual copies of various files.

Is there any way I can safely delete bunches of old backups? Or must I get a whole new backup drive? If I want to hope to get enough room?

(also, could I do it by connecting the drive to my old comp and somehow deleting the old backups from there?)

Thanks. The final option would be go through the entire drive, ensure I have everything I want from it, and then just reformat.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The best way is to attach the hard drive to your old machine, run Time Machine from there and remove those backups you no longer need. Eventually when you have everything transferred over you can erase and reformat the drive getting it ready for backups with the new machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.