new powerbook wont boot up without ac? ***?

H

heedree

hey, i just got my new powerbook and yes, there's a problem.

It wont turn on unless the ac power is plugged in. The light on the plug is green meaning the battery is charged. I'm stumped.... Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
try taking out the battery with the power plugged in. unplug the power. reinstall the battery. check to see if it comes on. then plug it in and see if the led on teh cord changes color.

OP
H

heedree

are there supposed to be lights on the battery? because mine are all black... none of them light up... ever.... :(

OP
H

heedree

hmm correction. doesn't look like the ac is even charging the battery. In osx i checked the status of the battery and it's at 1%......

The plug from the ac is lighten up in yellow so I thought that means the battery is rcharged... but i guess not.

should i take this thing to the apple store and have em check it out?

OP
H

heedree

lil said:
And you are pushing the little button on the battery?

Vicky

no :/ (noob alert hehe)

BUT, it's not charging. i even tested something. I unplugged the ac while i was in osx to see if it ran off the battery, and it shut off... so i'm convinced there's an issue somewhere.

on hold with apple care as i'm typing this with one hand. hehehe

OP
L

lil

I'd say you may unfortunately have a duff battery :( Or the charging circuit may be damaged somehow.

When you press the little button -- do any of the little green LEDs light up?

But good luck on getting a solution quickly.

Also you may get asked to zap your PRAM. To do this hold down, Command (Apple) + Option (Alt) + P + R on statup and hold it until the mac chimes twice. Then you can cycle the power, command + ctrl + power and it will restart.

This may help resolve the problem.

Vicky

OP
H

heedree

hey, thanks for the replies.

Well, i took my laptop to an Apple certified dealer (suggested by apple care) and they told me flat out that the battery is a gonner.

I must say, even though i was a bit pissed that the battery was dead upon purchase, s**t happens. the important part is, Apple care rocks. I'm very pleased with the help and service i received. I am now seriously considering buying extened apple care when my 90 day phone support runs out.

my new battery come in in a few days. :headphone

OP
L

lil

Glad to hear it, sometimes these things happen with batteries, just a nature of the chemistry :(

Vicky

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
FYI: Applecare doesn't support replacing a dead battery, if it dies out from old age. Which was in my case. But if it dies prematurely, I think they make exceptions I hope. Because that's where I'm at, and I still need to call Applecare and see what they can do for me.

But I'm very glad to hear that you got it handled well in your case.

OP
H

heedree

well, in my particular case, the battery shipped dead. I got the lappy on friday (yesterday) and realized the prob only today as i had it plugged in the ac from the start.

If applecare gave me problems for that i would explode on them. lol

If my battery dies like a year from now from old age, that's understandable, but not when it ships dead to begin with.

im glad applecare didnt even hesitate tho. they said they'll replace it for free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Mine had the same problem, and they just shipped me a new battery and everything works smoothly. It's a known problem to them now since quite a few people have had bad batteries with these new powerbooks. Mine actually died a couple months later, but still dead as a door nail :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yeah it's been an issue with the latest batch of powerbooks, quite a number of them shipped with dead batteries.

You're covered for 6 months after purchase for the battery. After that it's down to 'wear and tear'.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
OP
V

vitaliy

Same problem!

Howdy,

I have the same problem. Got my laptop from Amazon.com, charged for several hours and still at 1% of battery charge. Whenever AC is not plugged in, the powerbook does not work. Also, the AC light is green; typically it means that the battery is fully charged.

To the Apple Store tomorrow! Thanks,

--Vitaliy

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.