• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie 08 not showing any pictures

Reaction score
Hi all,

I really need some help, I'm new to Mac and new to the forum and have started trying to make a movie. It is only a test movie at this stage to test some news show style graphics. The problem is that iMovie won't show any of the pictures on my Mac in the browser, no matter what I do. I also can not drag and drop into the project bar. The only thing I have got is the video file.

The pictures I'm trying to import are just regular JPEG files, nothing fancy. I have looked at lots of tutorials and no one else seems to have this problem.

Please help, any suggestions are welcome!

Many thanks
Richard

C

chas_m

1. It's helpful to include some equipment information (make/model, OS version, RAM, that sort of thing).

2. As I understand you, you're saying that the image browser you invoke in iMovie comes up with no pictures? Is that right? Are you using iPhoto? Is the iPhoto application in Applications? Is the iPhoto Library in your user folder under Pictures?

OP
R
Reaction score
Hi there

I am using a MacBook with Snow Leopard 10.6.8 with 4GB ram and SSD startup disk. The version of iMovie installed is 08.

You are correct that I am trying to import pictures into my movie, I click on the camera symbol and folders appear including iPhoto events, photos Last 12 months and Last Import. Even a folder I made appears yet no pictures show up in any of them, I just get "0 items" in the bottom right hand corner. The pictures in the files are .jpg and .png have also tried .tif

I have installed the latest system updates, but can't update iMovie 08 as it says I need OS 10.7.4 which I have spent 5 hours downloading but now that says I need 10.7

I feel that this must be an iMovie software bug but trying to fix it is running me around in circles.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
If nothing else works, you can drag photos from finder and drop them into an iMovie Project.

OP
R
Reaction score
Nope, tried that too. I drag, drop, but the file just goes straight back to the folder

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.