Possible that a core dies?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
Is there any possibility that a core could die within a laptop? I have the 2008 MacBook Pro with the Core 2 Duo, and i have noticed that as of late, when i do video production and handbrake encodings, it takes 2x as long as what it used to months ago. Like a handbrake encode went from taking an hour to two and half, or a premiere pro encode takes 6 hours for a 1080p 30minute video. Now i did downgrade from Lion to Snow LEopard since i was having GPU issues, which i think has extended into SL now since Starcraft 3 doesn't play at High like it used to, now it can't go past Medium. So, any idea what could have caused this slowdown?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Download Cinebench 11.5:

MAXON | 3D FOR THE REAL WORLD: CINEBENCH

...and run the cpu test. If it shows only 1 core working...then you have a "dead core". If it shows 2 cores working at the same time...then the slow down is something else.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To be honest, I've never heard of one core dying but I suppose anything can happen. Run the test as suggested by Nick but I'm also thinking that your hard drive may be the bottleneck. Be sure to test it with the SMART reporter.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My experience with dead cores may lie more with Powermac G5's & Mac Pro's...which have multiple cpu's:

- Powermac G5's...two cpu's (one cpu could be dead) leaving one working cpu
- 8-core Mac Pro...two cpu's (one cpu could be dead) leaving one working cpu (4-cores)

I agree...I don't think that I've run across a Core 2 Duo or a quad-core i5 or i7 (a single cpu setup)...that had an individual dead core.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.