Old Macbook Air vs New Macbook Air

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I went to the store last night and i fell in love with the Macbook Air (i've always been using Windows). In September i will start university and i would absolutely love having and using a Mac. However, i'm stuck in a dilemma and i wanted to ask you experts for some tips.
I can get discounts for being a student and stuff, it's a long long story, but it comes down to this:

Option 1:
the ''old'' macbook air, 2nd generation sandy bridge processor,
256 GB SSD, 2 year insurance.
But about 220 euros more expensive.

Option 2:
the new macbook air, 3rd generation ivy bridge processor,
128 GB SSD, 1 year insurance, the new OS X Mountain Lion
So about 220 euros cheaper.

Please take into account:
- As a student i don't have very much money
- At university, i will have to run Windows as well (so i thought maybe the bigger SSD? tips?)
- Thinking in longterm use, as i wont be able to get new hardware/upgrade soon after
- I will get an external hard drive in both cases.
- I will travel every weekend. (bigger ssd useful)

What i was thinking:
The newer one is obviously cheaper for me and will have the new processor and Mountain Lion, but the old one has a bigger SSD which will be very comfortable when travelling and with the use of Windows. I have never used SSD before, so i'm a bit worrying about the size of it. If i didnt have the new Mountain Lion, will it have consequences? (Sorry, i have never used a Mac before). What about the 1 year extra insurance, will it be very important?

Hope you can give me a good recommendation, I would like to thank you very much for your help. I'm sorry if i have English grammar mistakes, it's not my native language.

Greetings,
Dilara

Edit: I forgot to mention that they both have a 4 GB RAM

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Don't let Mountain Lion be a consideration. In all likelihood you would get a free upgrade to it whichever you pick, and if you don't it's only $19 USD.

For me, I would say to wait a bit if you can, then pick up an ivy bridge MBA from the refurb store.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice Razormac, i won't let Mountain Lion be a consideration (i didn't know the price was so low). Unfortunately, i'm not able to wait because i've given my own laptop away. What about the SSD? How much do you need to run everything (including Windows) well? and insurance?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
In my opinion...if you're looking to purchase a MacBook Air...the #1 thing you want to get is a MacBook Air with nothing less then 4gig of ram. Don't get a MBA with only 2gig of ram.

- Nick

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I don't run Windows so I can't speak to that.

Not sure about the insurance bit; Apple refurbs carry same as new warranty. AppleCare which could be bought for either extends it to three years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I bought a refurb - with Applecare for the same protection as new - 3 years.

I agree with Nick - if you are running windows (either with a virtual machine or bootcamp) you'll want more RAM. 2GB isn't enough in my opinion either. You can do the most basic of tasks with 2GB but if you are considering running other OSes then that is no longer the most basic of tasks. Having just a web browser open with multiple tabs (in any OS) can easily run you into the 2GB range.

If it comes to it - you can always get an external drive to store more data - but with all Airs - what you buy is what you have to stick with in perpetuity - so no upgrading RAM later. I know that an external drive is a pain - but you can always put Velcro on it and stick it to the computer - or you could get a Wifi Drive like the Seagate Goflex
GoFlex Satellite Wireless | Seagate
The CloudFTP device
CloudFTP by HyperDrive
The Maxell Airstash
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006473T9M/?tag=macforums0e4-20

The new Ivy Bridge gives you USB 3.0 - which helps with peripherals. In theory there are thunderbolt adapters coming down the pipe (ie from Belkin) with USB 3.0.

Reaction score
I would go with the new MBA. Newer hardware, so you'll be more up to date. I've partitioned 40gb to Windows and it's only taken up 25GB, so I have a whole other 15GB to store data. Then another 80gb on OSX, including the OS. Store your media on the external HDD and you'll be good.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.