Second monitor isses

Reaction score
Hi. I'm new to this forum and am just wondering if anyone else has had issues with a second monitor cutting in and out? I've been having this problem for almost 2 years and Apple doesn't seem to be able to sort it out!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hi there. I went ahead and moved your post over to "Other Hardware and Peripherals", as opposed to "Apple News and Rumors" - please be sure to check the forum descriptions to find the best place to post.

By posting in the right forum you help people not only find your question faster, but it helps others looking for the same information in the future.

Thanks for understanding!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Can you tell us a bit more detail about the situation? There could be any number of things causing the problem. Here's a few questions that occur to me:

1. What Mac model and monitor model are involved? Include the Mac's specs.
2. What exactly happens when the monitor cuts out (all black, weird colors, etc)?
3. What troubleshooting steps have you tried and what were the results? Example,tried different cable, connecting the monitor to a different computer, connecting the computer to a different monitor.

OP
F
Reaction score
Ha, just got iPhone back and able to retrieve emails. So..
1) Imac 27" and 24" second monitor. Both bought from Apple together just under 2 years ago
2) Both monitors cut to blue screen for a few seconds and then only iMac comes back in. This will then reverse, repeat, reverse etc until it gets bored with playing with me. It can go for days, weeks even without doing it and it can cut back and forth just a few times or repeatedly until I want to throw it out the window. It does appear to be more prone to the fault when cold (not exterior temperature, obviously)
3) Repeated conversations with Applcare. Software uninstalled and re-installed. Diagnostics run. Both been back to workshop 4 times now and still thereafter 29 days.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.