Setting up a home server.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" I7 first one and loving it.
I have a old desktop pc not being used. I was thinking of using it as a server at home. Just as a learning experience. That would give me a windows laptop, macbook pro, and the server. Would I be ok using linux sever software to do this? Or should I try to setup this with os x server?

Since I have bought Lion for my macbook. Would I have to buy a server copy as well? Would linux work just as well? Can't stop tinkering with things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2011 mac Mini, 2.3 GHz core i5, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Sierra, Retina display iPad, Iphone 5S
If you like to tinker, why not install linux on the old pc. Ubuntu is a reasonable distribution and it seems to run fairly well even on old hardware. You could try Xubuntu for real old hardware. Best thing to do is to download a live CD and check out your hardware.

You have several options for your macbook. You can download the Lion server from the app store. If memory serves me right, it is $29.00. Or MAMP is available as a free download and would give you a web server.

Here are the links:

MAMP: Mac, Apache, MySQL, PHP

Home | Ubuntu

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2011 mac Mini, 2.3 GHz core i5, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Sierra, Retina display iPad, Iphone 5S
Too fast on the button, I meant to add a few thoughts.

Mountain Lion is coming out in the near future. I would assume that an update to the Server App will also be forthcoming. I don't know if the Lion Server APP would be compatible with the Mountain Lion operating system. If you plan on upgrading your MacBook Pro, perhaps you may want to hold off for a bit.

Mamp is a decent webserver for a local website. It does NOT operate as an FTP server or local file server. If you want that functionality, either go with the Mac Server or linux on the old PC.

Bill

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" I7 first one and loving it.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I have a old desktop pc not being used. [...] Or should I try to setup this with os x server?
Not without violating the EULA and creating a hackintosh. ;)

Is Linux a good choice? Absolutely and arguably, it's better at servers than Windows and OS X. However, it has a slightly steeper learning curve. Thankfully, documentation is readily available and a few of us (including myself) are quite knowledgeable when it comes to Linux.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
I can second linux for a server, but what do you have in mind for the purpose of this server? It's definitely a great opportunity .. as far as tinkering goes :-D

If you want to mess around with something, use the unneeded old PC :) I wouldn't really go down the road of installing Lion server on your MacBook, I don't see added value in that - just my opinion.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.