Mac Mail won't let me delete mailbox!

Reaction score
My Macbook Pro early 2011 model running OSX 10.7.4 in Mail won't let me delete mailbox. I did disc repair in utilities and no help. It is a Yahoo account and that is the only account on there. HELP!

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
You could try highlighting the Mailbox in question; going to Toolbar, Click on "Mailbox" and, from drop down menu, select "Rebuild".

When that's finished, try deleting the mailbox - right click or ctrl click on it and select Delete from menu.

Can't promise this will solve the problem, but has in some cases in the past. Please let us know.

Ian

OP
M
Reaction score
That didn't work so I exported the mailbox into downloads and put it in trash and deleted it. Now it doesn't want to rebuild. I don't know what to do still, and I don't want to take it to Apple. HELP!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Is this a regular mailbox or a "Smart" mailbox?

Reaction score
Unable to delete a mailbox in Mail app

I was unable to delete the mailbox by simply right-clicking the mailbox and clicking delete. It was a persistant problem until I went into preferences - accounts - and selected the mailbox I wanted to delete and clicked the "-" or subtract on the bottom of the white box that contains all the accounts.

Hope this helps. (I know this is an old thread.)

Reaction score
deleting mailbox

Shangrila,

THANK YOU!!! I've been trying for almost a year to delete my old earthlink account to no avail. I tried the disk repair thing too, and no result. It kept asking me for a pasword to an email i no longer have.

Preferences is definitely the way to do it!

Thanks so much:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.