Hard disk error

Reaction score
Hi all,

Today I booted my MacBook Pro (13 inch), but it took way too long to load (it was still at the white screen after 15 minutes), so I held the power button and restarted. Now, it does nearly nothing...
What DOES work, is the Network Recovery option. I held Alt while booting and managed to get a terminal and disk utility up. The disk utility shows a single disk "disk0" with a single volume "OS X Base System". However, this base system is read-only, and only 1.4 GB!? It reports 232 MB available, which sounds about right, but obviously I had a bigger hard disk than just 1.4 GB.
I tried running fsck in the terminal on all disks there (disk0s[1-7] or something and disk[0-11]), but all of them were smaller than that.
I'm not completely sure that this is my disk. I can't see any hint that it is. Even /etc/passwd does not display my user. So it could just be the downloaded image for the internet recovery, though it would be quite a coincidence for it to have the same space available.

What doesn't work: anything else I tried. Single user mode, verbose mode, some system check (I believe the keyboard sequence for that was cmd-shift-p-r, and another one with just "d"). When trying to re-install it does not show any available hard drive to install on.

So I've got two questions:
1. The disk0 -> OS X Base System, is that my disk, or is that the disk image downloaded for the recovery system?
2. If this IS my disk, is there any way it could be related to a corrupted partition table? And if so, is there any way to try to fix that?

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
It sounds like you can boot into Recovery mode. Find Disk Utility and repair the startup drive.

OP
S
Reaction score
It sounds like you can boot into Recovery mode. Find Disk Utility and repair the startup drive.

Thank you for your answer!

I can get into the internet recovery mode, yes. And there is one hard disk of which I'm not sure it's the downloaded image or the actual hard disk (does the downloaded image show up there?). I can't do repair on the disk because it's read only. The only reason I think it MIGHT be my hard disk is because it has approximately the same disk space available, though that might be a coincidence (and not too strange if limited to system memory).
Other than that, no disks available.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.