Transferring Files From MBP Boot Disk?

Reaction score
My Computer's Logic board failed after 6 years of hard work. I bought a case for the hard drive and connected it to my new MBP. But Migration Assistant won't recognize it. What should I do?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Does the drive mount on the desktop of your new MacBook Pro? Or if not on the desktop, can you see it from Disk Utility? Also, tell us about the external enclosure you purchased for the old hard drive. If your old MBP was a 2006 model, that meant the hard drive was a SATA drive; likewise the external enclosure should be designed for a SATA drive.

OP
I
Reaction score
Does the drive mount on the desktop of your new MacBook Pro? Or if not on the desktop, can you see it from Disk Utility? Also, tell us about the external enclosure you purchased for the old hard drive. If your old MBP was a 2006 model, that meant the hard drive was a SATA drive; likewise the external enclosure should be designed for a SATA drive.

It is a startech enclosure purchased at Radio Shack, the new MBP recognizes it, as in I can copy files and look at its contents, but Migration Assistant acts like it doesn't exist.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, I understand what's happening. Read the following Apple KB article "How to use the Migration Assistant" LINK Briefly though, it won't work from a bare hard drive. Just continue to copy what you need as you've been doing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.