• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Stupid .dmg files

L

ligerzero03

So I got this G4 Mac Sawtooth, and the person that had it supposedly had OS X on it. So he gives me these 4 cd's with .dmg files on them, but the mac is crashed.. so I'm now wondering how I get the .dmg files into a format I can use to burn on my PC.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
ligerzero03 said:
So I got this G4 Mac Sawtooth, and the person that had it supposedly had OS X on it. So he gives me these 4 cd's with .dmg files on them, but the mac is crashed.. so I'm now wondering how I get the .dmg files into a format I can use to burn on my PC.

Thanks
If you were given CD's with .dmg files of OS X installs, then you were given illegal, pirated copies. Unfortunately, nobody here will be able to assist you.
I would suggest looking on eBay or a similar auction site and try to find a retail version of the OS X install and go from there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200
psss....
try using someones elses mac, but I no theres a .dmg decompressor out there for pc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
ligerzero03 said:

Thanks
What exactly is on the CDs you're trying to get off of them?

OP
T

thoughtCoat

http://www.computing.net/mac/wwwboard/forum/10311.html

Ok. I have spent over a week trying to work this one out, and EUREKA! I've FOUND IT!

So many have said it cannot be done. but it CAN.

Ok. Here's how to open a .DMG file on a pc to access the files.

First, download DMG2ISO

http://vu1tur.eu.org/tools/download.pl?dmg2iso.exe

The run the file DMG2ISO shell, and select yoru .dmg file. Then name your output file and convert.

Then.... download daemon tools

http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/portal/download.php?mode=Download&id=34

install it, and in the bottom right corner (running tasks) left click on it's icon, and select drive 0, and then find yoru NEW converted image (it will now be a .iso image since you converted it from .dmg to .iso).

NOW, you should see when you click 'my computer' a cd/dvd drive with the name of the file, like there was a cd/dvd in your machine (of course it is a virtual drive).

Now.... download Macdrive.

http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive6/

After installing Macdrive, you will be able to select VIEW MAC DISKS IN MY COMPUTER! And of course you have a virtual disc in your pc, which you get full access to!

Now just view all the files, and copy, and paste them to a new regular windows folder, or burn them straight to a cd/dvd and you're good to go! (I think you'll have to burn them straight to a dvd or cd in order for a mac to read them, but mac drive has this 'mac cd dvd' facility too!

:). I had to spread this news as it took hours and hours of research to get this far, and I feel it is beneficial to the computing community.

:)

OP
L

ligerzero03

The cd's have MAC OS X, the os had crashed, and he made backups of them, but in .dmg format...(he really didn't know how to make direct copies.) And he wound up losing all the discs, and luckily found the backups the other night. I thought they were 1/1 copies of them, but I was wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
how big are the files? if you can, just use a data copier. you can back up and data file....drag and drop files to the cd/dvd etc. I dont know why your trying to copy the files...but we dont need to discuss that. But anyfile that isnt a Music file....can be done on roxio or another DATA CD Copier program.

OP
T

thoughtCoat

He already has the .dmg files as data on discs. He needs to mount them and extract the contents so he can rescue his crashed Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.