Macbook Opinions Wanted

Reaction score
Hi,

My 2007 Macbook Pro has finally given up and stopped working. I am going to try and fix it myself as it is already miles out of warranty. But that's another point.

I am looking to get a new laptop for general use.

At the moment I have:

iPad
27" iMac which is what i do any serious work on
I also plan to get a google nexus 7 as it is will be 160 pounds and would be rude not to.

I however feel like there is a gap in my tech life which has a distinct laptop shape!

My intended use would be :
general email
general web browsing
carrying around in a briefcase / bag
football manager games on the go :Cool:
bit of word processing
won't need to store much on there really

I was thinking 11" MBA but maybe people can suggest some reasons for and against this.

I really don't think the retina display MBP is worth £1800 in my current state - although part of me definitely wants it! Other than this budget can be adjusted for the right machine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2011 2.4GHZ 4GB Ram 500GB HD
I would defiantly go with a MBA. Although since you want to budget a bit try looking for a refurbished MBA or if you are an educator you can get a discount on one. Since you are using it for only basic everyday use you will not need much more than 100gb on your flash drive. And the intel core 2 duo will have plenty of speed considering you will not be doing anything on it that would require anything more than that processor. There is a lot of authorized resellers of macs and heres a link of a refurbished MBA let me know if this helps!

Refurbished MacBook Air 1.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Apple Store (U.S.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
+1 for the MBA 11". I have a 2011 11" MBA and to love it. It's so light it is easily forgotten in a bag or rucksack.

OP
S
Reaction score
You have convinced me - an 11" MBA is probably the way to go.

thinking 128gb SSD / the i7 / 8gb RAM comes out at a shade under 1000 with discounts. My thinking is it will last a mighty long time.

Many thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
MBA FTW. or do a base 13.3" MBP. both are around the same cost, but portability..the MBA is where its at.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
Definitely MBA, yo will love the portability. I have a 2011 11" and a new 2012 13", I favor the 13" screen size but they are both fantastic machines.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.