Time Capsules and USB WiFi keys?

Reaction score
Can I plug my USB WiFi stick into the USB port on a time capsule or can it only get internet from either the network (another wireless router) or from the ethernet cable (that Im assuming has to be plugged into a modem)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Short answer - no, you can't.

But if you tell us what you're trying to do there may be an alternative solution

OP
Luther Mac
Reaction score
Well I was wondering if you could plug a conventional WiFi stick into the USB port and then the Time Capsule would be the router to the rest of my devices. But you answered the question.

I also own a USB stick that is its own Wifi modem/router. I can plug it directly into a wall socket and up to 10 devices can connect to the network at once.

Im assuming that if I plugged it into the TC it would work, it would simply be using the TC as a power source. The TC would then be able to connect to the USB stick's wifi signal wirelessly (even tho they are physically connected) and then the TC could rebroadcast the wifi signal in its normal routing manner.

OP
Luther Mac
Reaction score
One other question I have is that I have multiple External HD's.

Im aware that I can plug a (self powered) USB hub into the TC and then connect all the Ext. HD's so that all my Mac powered devices can access the stored info.

Will my Linux powered devices also be able to access this network/info stored in the TC/External HD's?

OP
Luther Mac
Reaction score
Oh, and another question, do all USB hubs need to be self powered if the External HDs are not self powered?

Im asking because it appears that it is safe to plug one External HD (non self powered) into a TC or MacBook USB port.

But Im wondering if I plug multiple non self powered External HDs into a TC or MacBook via a non self powered USB hub whether that will work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I'm guessing "a USB stick that is its own Wifi modem/router." is a 3g mi-fi device of some sort.

You can connect the TC to this network wirelessly but it won't be able to extend the network so effectively all the router properties of the TC will be off and it will just act as a wireless hard disk.

There's no reason why linux devices couldn't connect and access the data so long as they have network capability - i.e. they can connect to your mifi wirelessly

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As for powered/non-powered USB disks - that's going to be a try it and see situation. The TC port is designed for one device and it's power demands so I wouldn't expect to be able to support more than that but it really depends on the power demands of the USB disks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have the Huawei E586 - very similar device. Always given me very reliable service. Though I've never used it the way you intend!

The USB architecture has a finite power allocation. You can go to About My Mac and see the exactly details of the power supplied to your USB ports. But as a USB rule-of-thumb. For stability if nothing else I'd only have one port power one device. Anything more than that I'd look to self powered devices and/or a powered hub.

OP
Luther Mac
Reaction score
Excellent. Thankyou.

It's a unique setup I know. But these days, I just dont see the need for a router or modem anymore. These lil USB sticks make it all so simple.

- USB modem/router
- TC router/server/file backup/remote access
- MacBook

OP
Luther Mac
Reaction score
Since I already have External HDs, is a TC overkill in my case?

Would I be better off saving money and picking up a Airport Extreme?

I cannot plug a stereo device into a Airport Extreme like I could with an Express huh? Sorta lame.

OP
Luther Mac
Reaction score
Another question maybe you could help me with...

I have a ton of music and movies saved on my MacBook. Is there a way I can move all this stuff to my Ext HD or TC in the future and it will still play thru iTunes on my MacBook? Thus freeing up my MacBooks internal space but still allowing me to play my music on my computer thru the wireless network?

Will changing the file location mess everything up in iTunes?

And will this mess things up when it comes to using the Time Machine app? Does TM only backup my MacBook or will it back up all my devices (including my other External HDs?)

Should I just stick to using a TC as a TM storage base rather than trying to use it as a server?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You can put all of your music and movies on either a hard drive connected to your Mac, Time Capsule, or a drive attached to the Time Capsule and it will play fine. I currently have mine on a Time capsule and two different Macs access this library and even used a NAS for this for a while. Follow these directions iTunes for Mac: Moving your iTunes Media folder

The one thing that you have to remember is make sure the drive/Time Capsule is mounted when you launch iTunes otherwise it looks on your internal drive for the files. If you ever forget to do that simply quit iTunes mount the appropriate drive and relaunch iTunes.

I have not tried it personally but have seem reports that Time Machine can back up external hard drives as long as they are formatted HFS+ and not in the list of excluded items in Time Machine.

As far as other devices what else are you trying to back up?

My TC is behaving fine as a media server though an Extreme with external drives attached should also work.

OP
Luther Mac
Reaction score
You can put all of your music and movies on either a hard drive connected to your Mac, Time Capsule, or a drive attached to the Time Capsule and it will play fine. I currently have mine on a Time capsule and two different Macs access this library and even used a NAS for this for a while. Follow these directions iTunes for Mac: Moving your iTunes Media folder

The one thing that you have to remember is make sure the drive/Time Capsule is mounted when you launch iTunes otherwise it looks on your internal drive for the files. If you ever forget to do that simply quit iTunes mount the appropriate drive and relaunch iTunes.

I have not tried it personally but have seem reports that Time Machine can back up external hard drives as long as they are formatted HFS+ and not in the list of excluded items in Time Machine.

As far as other devices what else are you trying to back up?

My TC is behaving fine as a media server though an Extreme with external drives attached should also work.

My other devices include my iPhone, my iPad2, and my other External HD's.

Basically here is the setup I currently have (I went to the store since starting this thread and picked up a Airport Express)

Ext HD 1 - This is where I got Time Machine. Currently backing up just my MacBook Air though I'd like it to back up my other devices.

Ext HD 2 - This I basically use as a Sever to hold all my movies and music. Soon I'd like to move my iPhoto library of pics and albums over as well.

Super Drive 1 - Configured for PAL
Super Drive 2 - Configured for NTSC

All (4) devices are plugged into a 7 port USB hub that is plugged into my...

VVV

MacBook Air

VVV

iPhone
iPad2 - Both my iPhone and iPad are actually my girlfriends, so at the moment Im trying to figure out how to have a separate iTunes library on my Macbook since I cannot simply pull the MP3's from the Ext HD Server's and drop them into the iPhone/iPad via a USB adapter. I have no issues with her using my notebook to sync her stuff up to her photo/music libraries stored on the Ext HD's.

Android - My phone is actually an Andriod Nexus One. Im currently trying to use the app called "AirDroid" which is supposed to allow my phone and computer/ext hd's to speak to each other and transfer files thru the network.

VVV

Huawei E355 - Internet USB Key / WiFi Hot-Spot - This is the unit providing the internet and subsequent network that everything is connected too.

Airport Express - I had it playing my iTunes just fine from my MacBook Air and then I tried to connect my chic's iPhone and ever since it has been blinking amber. I cant get it to work again.

Speaker - I have a small USB powered portable speaker system that I have plugged into the Airport Express in both its audio jack port and the USB. The Airport Express is powering the speaker.

Now, when I try to open up Airport Utility to see what the issue is with the Express, I cannot even get it to show up. Ive tried soft (unplugging it for 20 seconds) and hard resets (the paperclip button) and nothing works.

As you can see, I do not have a traditional modem or router setup.

I would like to make it so my chic can play her music off of her iPad or iPhone thru the Airport Express, for when Im gone and my MacBook Air is with me. But currently the Express is giving me a headache.

And in an ideal world I'd get a Airport Extreme so that I could wirelessly access my movies (or music) and watch/listen to them from my notebook without the notebook having to be physically plugged into the USB hub.

>EDIT: I JUST REALIZED WHAT I DID WRONG the first time I configured the Express, I set up its own network instead of joining the one already in progress by my USB key. Im now doing it the right way I hope. Though, I still cant get the Express to show up on my iPhone.

OP
Luther Mac
Reaction score
My Airport Express is still not working.

I cannot get it to join my existing network.

Im not looking for it to extend my signal, as Im under the impression that the extension stuff is proprietary to Apple hardware.

But I see no reason why it wont join the existing network. I just want to be able to play music with Airplay via my MacBook or iPhone or iPad2.

Ive tried with both Airport Utility 6.0 and Ive seen where people have said to use the more stable, 5.6. Both have not been able to join the network effectively.

Funny thing is, when I try to join, even after the "Unexpected error occurred. Try again." message pops up, the Airport Express is still visible on my network as if it is connected.

Any help?

OP
Luther Mac
Reaction score
Im about to try 5.6.1 because Ive read where that one might work. Nothing else seems to work.

Seriously, why wont the AP Ex connect to a 3rd party network and allow me to play music through it? I just dont understand. It seems that it is only made to connect to a 3rd party via ethernet cable. That is totally bunk.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.