Why is remote access so slow?

Reaction score
I am at a loss here, I have tried all sorts of methods of remotely connecting to mac machines from Windows and everything is insanely slow.

I have tried built in VNC server with many different VNC clients and it is painful to use, so much so I could never use it to do anything productive. I am on a 1GB switched LAN access locally, so bandwidth is not an issue.

I also tried LogMeIn (which I use a ton for Windows machines with no problems), on a Mac it is crazy slow painting block by block the screen. The Mac machine is a quad core 8GB machine, even after a fresh reboot. Nothing is running.

I have tried against multiple macs, not one specific one, all yield the same result. It feels like I am on a 14.4 modem. I hear Mac - Mac usually works great, but Windows->Mac seems impossible.

Reaction score
Do the job with Microsoft Remote Access
Go to Application > Utilities > MRA

It should be in both Mac as well as windows. Follow the process and connect Mac and windows for Remote access.

OP
B
Reaction score
I've tried everything and remotely connecting to a mac machine from windows is slow no matter what I use. LogMeIn and various VNC clients. On local 1GBit LAN, it's like working over 2400 baud modem.

Is there anything that works well to remotely access a mac machine from Windows?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
You must have something configured wrong. I use LogMeIn to access my MacMini at home from my office computer as well as my iPad (using my iPhone 4S as a tethered modem) and i have found it very quick, considering the relatively slow residential upstream speeds from the house.

OP
B
Reaction score
You must have something configured wrong. I use LogMeIn to access my MacMini at home from my office computer as well as my iPad (using my iPhone 4S as a tethered modem) and i have found it very quick, considering the relatively slow residential upstream speeds from the house.

There isn't much you can mess up configuring LMI, in fact it configures everything itself. I also have been using LMI for 6+ years on over 100 machines. The machines were side by side and it was unbearably slow. I've read from a lot of posts this is a common problem. VNC was brutally slow using three different VNC clients. I had two mac machines I was testing it on, and I could not find any way to remote access them with performance that was acceptable.

I've heard VNC Mac-Mac works great, but from Windows it is awful. I use RDP to Windows boxes almost daily, and it is nearly as fast as natively sitting on the keyboard. I am trying to find something similar for Mac. Not only have I not found anything, everything feels like I am using a dial up modem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.