• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

"It's a boson:" Higgs quest bears new particle !!!! Exciting times ahead

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
It's a boson: Higgs quest bears new particle | Reuters
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higgs_boson

I think these are exciting times ahead for us in the universe.

Scientists at Europe's CERN research center have found a new subatomic particle, a basic building block of the universe, which appears to be the boson imagined and named half a century ago by theoretical physicist Peter Higgs.

"We have reached a milestone in our understanding of nature," CERN director general Rolf Heuer told a gathering of scientists and the world's media near Geneva on Wednesday.

Higgs boson breakthrough should earn particle’s namesake the Nobel Prize: Stephen Hawking
Higgs boson breakthrough should earn particle's namesake the Nobel Prize: Stephen Hawking | News | National Post

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Well looks like some people don't see this as a big break through :( hahahahah

I am just amazed theta 50 years ago a man in a lab knew that there was this atom somewhere hanging around and didn't have the ability to prove it,and this man is alive today.. . . . .. It boggles the mind, or it does mine.
seeing this today a believe anything is possible (talking about my other thread) It can be done !!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Well looks like some people don't see this as a big break through :( hahahahah

I am just amazed theta 50 years ago a man in a lab knew that there was this atom somewhere hanging around and didn't have the ability to prove it,and this man is alive today.. . . . .. It boggles the mind, or it does mine.
seeing this today a believe anything is possible (talking about my other thread) It can be done !!!!!

I do. He was walking in the Scottish Highlands when he thought it through..he must have had a couple of drams.

Supersymmetry is next up I think Supersymmetry: The Future of Physics Explained | Wired Science | Wired.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I was disappointed, I expected the Vulcan council to land and welcome us into the Federation

Reaction score
^ Not until 2063
th_vulcan.gif

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do. He was walking in the Scottish Highlands when he thought it through..he must have had a couple of drams.

Supersymmetry is next up I think Supersymmetry: The Future of Physics Explained | Wired Science | Wired.com

Ahh nothing like thinking at the subatomic level at 6am in the morning lol

Very interesting indeed. To to think now that there is a corresponding value to all atoms.

And the corresponding value to gravity is 10 000 000 000 000 000 times more powerful. Doesn't that make other think WOW lol Weak force that is out there is so much stronger than gravity.

Still boggles my mind !!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
125-126 GeV!!!!!!!! The corresponding mass to that type of energy value os HHHHUUUGGGEEE!!!

The energy equivalent for electron mass is 511 KeV (511,000 eV).
125,000,000,000 eV is what they have discovered here with the Higgs. Just astronomical. Great news.. great story.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.