LCD issues with MBP?

Reaction score
Hi,

I need help with my MBP, the screen seems to have gone out of whack. I cant determine whether its a LCD issue or my graphic card.

Is there anyway to do a test for this type of things? I've done the Hardware test before and the system did not pick up any issues...

I have attached an image below.

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/8726/img20120704224652.jpg

Thank you

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How about some info regarding your MBP? Year, model? Version of OS X?

Attach an external monitor or TV to your MBP. Does it do the same thing?

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi Chscag,

The MBP is quite old, its the last model of the MBP before the unibody version came out (purchased mid 2008).

It runs Snow leopard with the latest patch.

I've tried connecting to a secondary monitor and the display.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If it did the same thing when attached to an external monitor, that's an indication the graphics chipset on the logic board is defective. Which means a new logic board. And since a replacement logic board will likely cost more than your MBP is worth, you might consider selling it for parts and buy a new MBP.

OP
S
Reaction score
The display when plugged into a secondary monitor is fine. its only the Laptop's LCD thats doing this.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's different. Your reply above did not indicate that. Since an external monitor displays OK, the GPU must likewise be OK. Although the screen shot sure looks like a graphic chipset problem.

I just thought of something.... I've seen that symptom before when the LVDS cable from the logic board to the LCD was bad or loose.

Are you OK with opening up the machine and checking to see if the video cable might be loose? It attaches to a connector on the logic board. See the take apart instructions and view of it at iFixit: The free repair manual. Let us know.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi,

Thank you so much!! I'm going to open it up and have a look, i assume from your judgement that the LCD panel it self is working fine?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We won't know for sure until you have a chance to check that cable. The LCD panel itself is probably OK since it does light up and show a display albeit distorted.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi Chscag,

I just ran the detailed AHT on my MBP... during the test the LCD screen was still distorted... but then it went through several different patterns and then boom.... back to normal... do u know of any other test i can potentially perform to gain a better understanding to the nature of the problem?

the AHT reported that no issues found.

Any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The AHT does not test the cable we mentioned above. You're going to have to open the machine up and physically check the cable. Even if it's not loose the only way to be 100% sure is to replace it.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi Chscag,

How r u? I've did exact what you suggested and it worked for a while and now its back at it.

do you think a fresh install might resolve the issue? Or should i go ahead and purchase a replacement LCD?

Please advise.

Thank you

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you don't mind spending the money on a new LCD panel and think that you'll be OK with replacing it yourself, go ahead and do it. Don't forget to look up the instructions for replacing the LCD at iFixit: The free repair manual. (Reinstalling the operating system is not going to help.) Just keep in mind that your machine is over 4 years old and may not be worth spending any more money for repairs.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi Chscag,

Thank you for your feedback, I had a feeling it will come down to this.

I might attempt to replace the screen, I spent $2.5k on the thing and only got four years out of it, its quite disappointing to be honest. need the thing to be working a bit longer.

Again thank you very much for your help

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.