Why are my apps taking up so much space?

Reaction score
I have a total of 29 apps on my iPad 2, and that's INCLUDING the 20 default apps I can't erase.

I've only gone out of my way to download 9 other apps: iBooks, iHeartRadio, Netflix, Nook, Kindle, Sudoku, Goodreads, Comics, and Camera+.

I mainly use my iPad as an ereader, so I basically use iBooks 90% of the time. I also have a subscription of The New Yorker, which is in Newsstand, along with The New York Times (which was there by default).

And yet this is all the space they take up:

53tjrk.png

Isn't that a LOT of space being taken up by just a few additional apps? I know people who have pages and pages of apps, but I barely have the second page filled!

Before all this, I tried erasing about five other applications that I never used, yet the memory stayed exactly the same.

I was going to add my music library to the tablet, but then it went way over capacity (I have 1,329 songs).

Does anybody know why my apps are taking up so much room?

Edit: By comparison, my iPhone 4S has 48 apps, and this is the breakdown:

zvzghw.png

Both my iPad and iPhone have 16GB. I just don't get why the apps are taking up so much space on the tablet and so little on the phone.

C

chas_m

The space taken up by "Apps" in the gas gauge includes the data STORED by the app.

So, for example, all photos in Camera+ that are NOT moved to the camera roll are stored in the app.

All your iBook purchases? Stored in the app. Nook, Kindle, Comics, Goodreads (crap you do a lot of reading)? Stored in the app.

The iHeartRadio cache? Stored in the app.

So that's why those apps take up a lot of space (and actually, 4GB is not a lot of space unless you have a 16GB or less device).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
you can go into Settings - General - Usage (this may take a few seconds to refresh the apps list).

Now you can see on an app-by-app basis how much space is being occupied and by what.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Well, it looks like my New Yorker subscription is the biggest culprit:

34pgri1.png

Thanks for the info.

WOW Time to get rid of some of those old papers i think. Cant use them in the fire, wrap up presents.
Cyber papers are only good to read :( jk

Cheers

Reaction score
It's Camera+. I was searching on this same problem. As soon as I noticed that you had the same Camera+ app, I guessed that might be the culprit. I immediately deleted it and the app file space on my iphone dropped about 90%!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Camera+ is his next to lowest usage app on that screen. In this 2+ month old post, the culprit was indeed.. the New Yorker issues.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.