Transfer books from iMac to iPad

Reaction score
My iPad was originally synced with the iTunes on my PC. After I purchased a iMac OS X ver 10.7.3 (Lion) wantd to use the iMac as my main resource to connect to my iPad.
However, I was immediately warned that I would loos all my iPad content if I would permit sync to the new iMac. To avoid this I purchased " iPad to Mac transfer."
This permitted me to transfer my music files, my e-books to the iMac.
Sometime later I added some e-books to the iMac/iTune library. These books can be read using the app "iReader" directly on the iMac.
Now I want to read them also on my iPad.
Please note the error mressage. I have no idea what disc is required.
John

2012-07-04_17-39-57.png

C

chas_m

Eject the iPad from iTunes. Shut down the iPad (not just put it to sleep). Turn on the iPad. Re-sync.

OP
jott
Reaction score
Eject the iPad from iTunes. Shut down the iPad (not just put it to sleep). Turn on the iPad. Re-sync.
The hallmark of a good software are error messages that are meaningful. Apple still need knowledge guys like you to act as interpreter who can change gibbering into some meaning.
But even so, the described cure has some shortcomings. After I followed your advice I wanted to sync only my books. Please refer to my screen shot. I wanted only the 7 books that I selected to be added to my Ipad. After this was done all my movies were also synced, even as I did not ask for it, Needless to say, this took a long time.
Next I disconnected the iPad and checked the Books. Only the 7 books were shown. All the other books could not be seen. Re connected the iPad and synced all the books. Now all books are ready to be read on iPad. Wonders never cease.

2012-07-06_07-46-51.png

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
In the sync screen there are tabs for the different media. If you click on the Movie one you can select the options for which (or none if you prefer) you wish to sync to your iPad.

OP
jott
Reaction score
In the sync screen there are tabs for the different media. If you click on the Movie one you can select the options for which (or none if you prefer) you wish to sync to your iPad.

I cannot see how this ties in with my problem of transferring books.
But thanks for showing your good will.
John

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I cannot see how this ties in with my problem of transferring books.
But thanks for showing your good will.
John

Was responding to the 4th sentence in your 2nd paragraph about Movies syncing that you had not asked for.

Anyway, glad your issue with the books seems to be resolved.

OP
jott
Reaction score
Was responding to the 4th sentence in your 2nd paragraph about Movies syncing that you had not asked for.

Anyway, glad your issue with the books seems to be resolved.
This syncing issue really floors me. Are you saying that I would have to check all the other sync items to make sure that they are not synced, even if I only want to sync one (books)??? This seems to be a rather backward way of doing things.

C

chas_m

Once you have selected what is to be synced the first time, it should not need any further adjustment. The items you selected will remain synced, any new items you choose to sync will be added.

iTunes will do a backup each time you sync (this can be turned off in preferences but it's recommended to let it do that) before the syncing happens, so that may take a little time, but it doesn't re-sync anything except any new purchases you've made since the last sync.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.