iMac miniport to VGA

Reaction score
I have a 24-inch iMac which I got in 2009. Unfortunately the monitor has died, while the computer is still working. I had the choice of either repairing it for a lot of money, or just connect an external monitor.

So I got a miniport to VGA adapter and I connected a monitor I had sitting about (a Dell :eek: ). Nothing happened. Monitor does not seem to pick up signal:'(

Anyone any advice?

ps The monitor has a female input, the adapter is female out as well, so I had to get male to male extension. Maybe something to do with it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
You would only be able to use an external display if the iMac's LCD panel was defective, how did you verify this? Re a display with a VGA interface, it is normal for it to have a 15 pin female D connector. The monitor should have had a 15 pin male to 15 pin male interface cable. This cable connects from the display to the mini DVI to VGA Apple adapter. Is the Dell display known to be good?

OP
W
Reaction score
I had it checked by a certified Apple engineer. He said the LCD screen was defective but I would be able to connect an external monitor.

The Dell monitor works ok as far as I know, just. Regular VGA flat-panel monitor

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You would only be able to use an external display if the iMac's LCD panel was defective,
This is not true. You can attach an external display to an iMac video output port whether or not the internal monitor is functioning.

@wok666:

First, do you have the correct adapter? You need a mini display port adapter to VGA or DVI (whichever input connection the Dell has), also a VGA or DVI cable to the Dell.

Second: Open System Preferences, Displays. Is the Dell monitor recognized? If it is, make sure your iMac is set to "Mirror" mode and that the correct native resolution is selected for the Dell. It should work.

OP
W
Reaction score
How would I check system preferences when the LCD screen isn't working?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
This is not true. You can attach an external display to an iMac video output port whether or not the internal monitor is functioning.

You are of course right, as I wrongly worded my comment. What I intended to say was that you could only use an external display as a solution to this issue if the LCD was definitely defective, i.e. it wasn't a video card problem. We now know that the LCD was defective, as it was diagnosed by an Apple Certified Mac Technician.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.