Using Python

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac i7
My Lion OSX has Python 2.7.1 installed via the Terminal.
I want to use a Scripter to make programming in Python easier, but dont quite know which one to use.
Can I write Python programs through Xcode4? if so, can someone point me in the direction; Or can anyone recommend a good Scripter for Python.
I used Pyscripter on my old MS pc but am told it wont run on my Mac.
I've toyed with downloading Komodo Edit but recommendations are what I need.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
There are may editors available for the Mac including PyDev (Eclipse plugin), Komodo Edit, TextMate, TextWranger, Kod, Vim (my personal favourite). No one can tell you which one to use since editors are like colours - everyone has their favourite and none is necessarily any better than the others.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" I7 first one and loving it.
I might add that I like pico or nano. It is easy to learn and use. Can be used a sudo as well which is important for some functions. Pico comes with Lion just type pico from a terminal prompt.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Anything can be opened with elevated privileges. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I might add that I like pico or nano. It is easy to learn and use. Can be used a sudo as well which is important for some functions. Pico comes with Lion just type pico from a terminal prompt.

so does vi, and it's common to all unix systems. IMO of the text editors, because of that alone, it's the best one to bother to learn.

pine is not elm composer.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac i7
Thanks everyone for the input. I found Pico(Nano) which reminds me of the old MS Dos editor.
I've settled for Code Runner; Only as it was in the App Store, but unsure if its a quirky Mac thing, but the programming is not the same as when i used Pyscripter on Windows.
As many of you implied, I'm going to probably try them all eventually.
Maybe I need to change with the times and embrace Xcode.
Many Thanks

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Xcode is terrible for Python development. If you're doing C/C++/Obj-C development, it's great. Otherwise, setting it up to work with other languages is either tedious or not possible. It's also likely overkill - why install 3GB+ just to write scripts with Python?

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac i7
Ok. I dont think I would know where to start using Python via Xcode.
I only know Python and Visual Basic.
I love the simplicity of Python and have written some very successful programs, albeit small and simple, using it.
My comment was meant as, Maybe its time I moved up and learned something like Objective C using Xcode.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There's no need to move to Objective-C (although you're more than welcome to do so).

If you like Python, stick with it. Trying to new languages is a great thing to do but don't feel compelled to use it. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.