Ipad 3 not charging from the mains

Reaction score
I have bought an Ipad 3. I have been told the battery charger supplied is not powerful enough for this model. Anybody else have this problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Not unsurprisingly, the supplied charger works just fine. Never had an issue with mine.

If your supplied charger and cable aren't charging the iPad they came with take the whole lot back and get it checked out/exchanged.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Agree with member "mrplow". That simply is not true. The supplied charger with the third generation iPad works well. If yours doesn't, then it's defective and should be taken up with Apple.

OP
P
Reaction score
I 'm going to see the genius at apple on Saturday hopefully they will help

C

chas_m

Well, we should ask if you bought this new in box from an Apple retailer (or Apple retail partner) or did you buy it used. Is the "supplied charger" an Apple charger? Does it look like the standard 2012 iPad charger (pictures of which are of course online)?

OP
P
Reaction score
I brought the ipad from the apple shop in the uk. It wad sealed up in the box

OP
P
Reaction score
When I charge my ipad 3 plugged directly into the mains its fine, but when I use an extension cable into the mains the ipad doesn't charge. Any ideas

Paul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
When I charge my ipad 3 plugged directly into the mains its fine, but when I use an extension cable into the mains the ipad doesn't charge. Any ideas

Paul

So, same iPad charger and cable but a mains extension cable?

Have you tried a different mains extension cable?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
When you state "mains extension cable", are you saying that you're attaching an AC extension cord from the power brick that Apple has supplied for charging to the AC outlet?

Or are you using an extension to the cable that goes from the iPad 3 to the power brick?

Because when I attach an AC extension cable or cord from the power brick to the wall outlet, my iPad 3 charges OK.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm from the UK too..... power brick - power supply - typically the transformer

Like the block you might have on the power cord for your xbox, printer etc In this case the little white block with the USB port.

But fundamentally, if the supplied power brick/power supply works straight into a wall socket it must be OK.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Paul

Are we talking that you tried various "extension cables"? Because if you only tried one...maybe the one extension cable you tried has something wrong with it.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.