MacBook harddrive replacment

Reaction score
Hi guys my MacBook hardrive has died so I'm looking on advice for a replacement have been looking at a few but unsure as what to go for, 5400/7200 etc. any advice would be great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many to list. Typically use an Intel iMac for most of my stuff and a Mini for web video.
If possible and affordable you'll want to look for the highest speed drive and the biggest cache possible, and of course it needs to be SATA. The true throughput of a drive is limited more by the size of the cache than the speed. Most redundant data (that which is accessed a lot) is put into the cache, and the bigger the cache the faster the response will be, unless you're using it to load extremely large files like video that will overwhelm the cache, then you might want to favor rotational speed over cache size.

It really depends on how much you're willing to spend. Hard drives, even 2.5 in units are cheap these days.

OP
P
Reaction score
Hi mate thanks, I sorta understand that bit I'm looking advice on which brands to go with and which not. Having you any particular ones in mind? My budget would be £100

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many to list. Typically use an Intel iMac for most of my stuff and a Mini for web video.
I can safely tell you that I've bought about 15 Western Digitals in my life, and never had a single problem with any of them. I've bough many Seagate's as well with no problems. The only drive I've really had what I felt were premature problems was a Maxtor internal HD. I have and external Maxtor HD that's been great.

Many of these companies I've used over the past 20 years have bought each other up. For example, if you do a web search for Maxtor, the site hosting them is Seagate.

Drives can vary considerably based on model numbers and families. I think what you really want to look for are specific models that might have problems with your specific unit. Look for links like this:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/960977?start=0&tstart=0

and this:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-9823370-37.html

Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
I've fitted quite a few Seagate Momentus XT 500GB. It's about the best available without going to SSD, and should be within your budget. Ebuyer sell for £62.99.

OP
P
Reaction score
Hi guys thanks for the info, I was looking at the seagate momentus. Will the faster drive reduce battery life or any other problems, the computer is 2007.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Hi guys thanks for the info, I was looking at the seagate momentus. Will the faster drive reduce battery life or any other problems, the computer is 2007.

Yes, battery life will suffer, only a problem if you use extensively on battery. Even going from a stock 5400 rpm drive to a 7200 will be noticeable, even more so if the battery is showing its age.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.