help finding right power cable for macbook pro 13"

Reaction score
Hello,
I have the 13" MB pro purchased maybe 3-4 years ago. The power cable that came with it was magnetic and stuck straight out.
I need a replacement and noticed that the newer models are a different design...they are more of an L shape so do not stick straight out of the computer.

Is this the same power cable that would work with my older computer? Just a different design?

Here are my details....
MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,5
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.53 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

thanks for the help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is this the same power cable that would work with my older computer? Just a different design?

Yes, it's called a "MagSafe Adapter". You'll need to purchase the entire cable plus adapter to replace the older one. You can buy it direct from Apple or at any Best Buy store.

OP
W
Reaction score
so just an update on this post....I purchased an off brand power cable from ebay for much cheaper than the mac one.
Worked perfectly for about 3 months, but then just stopped

Then just left the base plugged in and did not think anything else about it (not connected to computer).
I randomly touched it and it was so hot! I tried to take it out and it was too hot to touch. Finally got it out of the socket to find the side of the plug end was boiling up and melting. Crazy hot!
I had still been trying to attach the computer end, so I just feel lucky that nothing happened to the computer.
I usually buy off brand gear as the mac products/Canon products are too expensive (have had problems with mac gear in the past as well) and have never had a problem this bad....
Glad no permanent damage, but any idea what would cause such a problem? And would this have put my computer in any harm....off hand thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
Never buy off brand, L-sharped apple model #1344 should fit and get it from ebay, ask the seller for this model # and it is 60w magsafe adapter, I would never compromise with cheap imitation apple product for such key part of a computer,

OP
W
Reaction score
I agree....with such an investment, I should really be using the original manufacturer's product....but the charger is $80 from Apple and $20 from an off brand.
That is just way too much of a difference and in my opinion, being taken advantage of.

For years now, I have been using off brand products for my Canon and Apple and really never had a problem. My apple products have also also had their faults, so they are not perfect either.

Of course this is terrifying when a problem actually does occur; but in what situation would a faulty off brand power cable actually do damage to your laptop? I mean this one just about melted itself down while attached to my mac and there was not a problem with the laptop.

$80 or $20....just way too much of a price difference in a simple power cable. The original one, from mac btw, fell apart on me as well.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
$80 or $20....just way too much of a price difference in a simple power cable. The original one, from mac btw, fell apart on me as well.

It sounds like you're not happy with either the Apple product or the non-Apple product. So what are you going to do...throw your MacBook Pro in the trash?? I'm sure you're not going to do that;)...so you have to buy something.

I currently happen to have about 5-6 Apple power bricks/chargers (and you could add to that about 5-6 from prior MacBook/MacBook Pro's that I've owned and since sold)...and I have had no problems (fingers crossed). That's a total of 10-12 chargers without a problem.:)

I'm betting that there was either a problem with your prior Apple charger...or something "funky" is going on with your MacBook Pro.

- Nick

p.s. And no...I don't know what could be going on with your computer. Other than it be something with the battery or the mag-safe board (if it has a seperate one).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.