Is my Mac Pro Dying ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 Mac Pro 3,1: 3.2Ghz octo
I RECENTLY bought a 3.2 GHz 8 core mac pro from ebay.

This photo is what happened to it today.

I thought It was the video card, but then even the screen shot was messed up which made me fear the worst.
It seems to be working ok for now.

Screen shot 2012-07-03 at 12.52.02 PM.png

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I RECENTLY bought a 3.2 GHz 8 core mac pro from ebay.

- Unless you got this computer at a very good price
- or if the seller was fully upfront with this computers problems has

And I don't know exactly what you mean by "recently" purchased. But if we're talking a reasonably short period of time...seems to me you should simply return the computer (if possible)...to the seller.

I thought It was the video card, but then even the screen shot was messed up which made me fear the worst.

If you choose to try & fix it...replacing the video card would be the first step. And yes...of course your screen shot will be messed up...since the video card looks like it's messed up.

It seems to be working ok for now.

How can it "be working ok for now"...when you posted a screenshot of a bad video situation?? If it's "working ok for now"...then why are you posting??

I'm confused...am I missing something in your original post??

What % of this time is it working "OK"...and what % of the time is the video messed up??

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many to list. Typically use an Intel iMac for most of my stuff and a Mini for web video.
During transport, things can make their ways loose.

Before panicking, open the unit up and re-seat the video card, the RAM chips, and anything else that could potentially come loose. 12" Aluminum PowerBooks are notorious for having their Airport cards partially disengage from their plug-in slots during shipping, and it causes the machine to lock up. I would see no reason why something similar couldn't have happened here.

If you re-seat the cards, RAM, etc, and the problems persist then I suspect you might have gotten stuck with a lemon. If you got it from "BewareBay" and paid with PayPal, PayPal has some sort of warranty that pretty much forces the seller to take it back within a certain amount of time. How much time, I don't know, but I think it's in the 30-90 day range.

Good Luck.

OP
Familyguy9877
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 Mac Pro 3,1: 3.2Ghz octo
[/QUOTE]

How can it "be working ok for now"...when you posted a screenshot of a bad video situation?? If it's "working ok for now"...then why are you posting??

I'm confused...am I missing something in your original post??

What % of this time is it working "OK"...and what % of the time is the video messed up??

- Nick[/QUOTE]

Not recent enough to return, what I mean by for now is that, the first time this happened is when I took the screen shot, I restarted it and now it's fine.

So far this has not become a recurring issue.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Not recent enough to return, what I mean by for now is that, the first time this happened is when I took the screen shot, I restarted it and now it's fine.

So far this has not become a recurring issue.

If this has only happened 1 time...I'm thinking that you're getting concerned a little bit too quickly!;)

- Nick

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Looks like a graphics card fault from here, if it continues to happen, thats where I would direct my attention.

Reaction score
My MacBook Pro has just had a failed graphics card, it started off like this screen shot posted by the OP and then was fine for a week. Steadily it froze, flickered or distorted more and more, until it finally wouldn't boot up. I did take it to an Apple Genius during the failing time who ran diagnostics tests 3 times before it finally picked up the graphics card was on its way out. They did tell me to hook it up to another monitor/tv to check if the problem is shown on that too (to eliminate display problem).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.