Opinion on setting external scratch disk?

Reaction score
I've got a MPB, and use a Time Machine for backup... I'm considering adding an external SSD drive just to use as a Photoshop scratch disk. My question: as far as the Time Machine goes, would I be better to put the SSD before or after the the TM in the FW800 chain, or on a separate path, or does it even matter?
thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
If you're using FW800, skip the SSD. The bus is slow enough that you'll see NO speed advantage over a rotational drive. (the bus is the bottleneck here) I'm not even sure I'd use a FW attached drive as a scratch disk to be honest.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
The best place for a scratch disk is on a separate partition from the OS. So if you really want optimal performance, either repartition your internal HD, or install another HD. SSD would be best for a new installation. Otherwise, as has already been said, it wouldn't make much of a difference, unless perhaps if it was an Thunderbolt or eSATA drive.

Doug

OP
C
Reaction score
ok thanks--so eSATA is better than FW800...in that case, I may not need to buy another drive--one of the 1TB G-Drives I have behind the TIme machine could work as a scratch disk, if it was set up as eSATA then? They have eSATA ports on them, but I couldn't seem to get them to connect that way, so I used the FW800 ports... would I be correct to assume that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Got an esata card?

OP
C
Reaction score
no wait, I didn't think of that--the MBP is an i5 that I got in Nov2010 as my first Mac, with 8GB of RAM in it; it doesn't have an eSATA port, but does have a PC card slot... what I remembered was trying to connect the 2 GDrives with the eSATA cable.
hmm... so if FW800 is the fastest port on the MBP, is it pointless to add an external scratch disk?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.