MBP Getting Hot And Speakers Not Working

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 15" MacBook Pro 2.8 i7, 8GB, OS X 10.6.8
Here we go again. (The saga left off here: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os...t-volume-control-when-headphones-plugged.html)

So after 5 weeks of Apple Japan keeping my computer, they said I needed a new logic board, and they gave me one. When I went to pick up my MBP at the store I turned it on and none of the volume problem was still there. (As well as the MBP taking about 2 min to boot up, it was about 40 seconds before).

The store said that Apple is aware of the problem and it should be fixed in the next update ... or the one after that.

So with nothing fixed and 5 weeks without a computer I decide to take it home and write a letter to Apple in California. (Anyone know if that will do anything?)

For the past 4 days I've been using my unfixed computer, but I notice today that the volume out of the left speaker is much louder than the right speaker. I try to adjust the balance, but the slightest shift of the slider all but mutes the good speaker. I don't really pay it much mind, but then later I skype some friends in the states and I notice that when they're talking that it's really mostly coming from one speaker and it's a bit difficult to hear them. Again, I think nothing of it. But when I pick up my laptop I notice that the side that has the louder speaker (The same side as the ports, if that matters) is insanely hot. The other side is literally cool to the touch, no warmth at all.

I can't take it back to the Japanese Apple Store, they are seriously worthless. 4 weeks of them telling me it's me, then they acknowledge there's a problem, keep it for a 5th week to replace the logic board, but it doesn't fix it. Now I get the computer back with even more problems.

Like I said, I mailed a pretty unhappy letter to the Apple Headquaters (Cupertino, CA), is that just a waste of time? I'm at my wits end with this piece of ****. And I'm not getting anywhere. 3 seperate trips to the Apple Store and 5 weeks total with my computer. I feel like an idiot at this point. What are my options?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
The problem with heat only on the left is normal, that's where the processor is and on the right side there is only the dvd drive and that doesn't get hot.

Can't really add anything to your problem with Apple service though ... is it an Apple retail store, or just a reseller/certified repair shop?

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's a real Apple Store, not a reseller.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Anyone know if the letter I wrote will just end up in the garbage?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm quite surprised at the poor service you received in Japan. Normally, Japanese technicians are very well trained and meticulous about their work. I spent many years in Japan and have never experienced disappointing service for anything I had that needed repair from electronics to my personal auto.

Having said the above, no, I don't believe your letter to Apple will wind up in the trash. Apple takes customer service and satisfaction very seriously and will I'm sure respond in kind. Make certain that you keep all documentation of repairs and service you had done in Japan. Since it was accomplished at an Apple store, it should all be in the computer data base, however, it may be in Japanese rather than English.

Let us know.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm quite surprised at the poor service you received in Japan. Normally, Japanese technicians are very well trained and meticulous about their work. I spent many years in Japan and have never experienced disappointing service for anything I had that needed repair from electronics to my personal auto.

I'm surprised as well by the less-than-stellar performance; definitely not par for the course in this country.

But I will give an update when I hear something.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.