On my way to becoming a Developer for IOS !!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Well this is it.

Have downloaded Xcode4 have signed up as a developer, and will take the $99 paid plunge on my next Pension Payment.
I want to make a full on go with this and will over the next ...... months read, test, play with everything Xcode. Xcode seems to be a great piece of kit to use to do your own IOS development when you have no coding ability.
I have a idea and it hit me when i was cooking tonight and needed to know something, and i looked online. Then thought, hang on, someone needs to make a App to help people like me so its at there finger tips. My misses then said well ur a  geek, and know what your doing on the Mac so if anyone could i could. So there it is, I'm going to become a full blown developer and produce my own App, and yes it is going to be paid bc I'm in this for the $

Off to the newsagent tomorrow to score a big drawing pad to make as my story board.
If anyone out there knows of some good links that they know of that have helped them on the way, please feel free to share them here with me.

I don't know a line of code, and going to play with the "Hello World" one Xcode has to get into it and see ow it all works. Wish me well and ill remember my friends when i make my first million. Couldn't be took hard with 6 000 000 000 000 people in the world :)

Cheers

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Good luck, Brent . . . I look forward to being your first customer. :)

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Thnks mate. You will be the first to know.
I was just sitting back then doing story =boards in my head, and for this particular App there is quite a lot of research involved from my end, considering how many countries there are in the world and the diversity of what i am thinking of doing.
Updated countries to come in next update will be a ongoing thing lol

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
If you ever have specific questions, always feel free to ask here .. and, of course, good luck :)

Start simple be patient with coding and give it time :) Forget about other countries for now :p

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Good luck. Just what I need something else to spend hard earned cash on. lol

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks all.

@Slydude, mate at .99c not really hard earned cash lol

@scathe. Thanks mate will do post questions to help me along. Without giving too much away it will be to do with cooking, and ill start with my home country, America (bc of its Population size) and my fav food country Thailand. Then again there will be a lot of Genericism going on too lol

Excited

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
But what if you decide to go past the terrible dollar margin? :-D
Back to your initial post, don't rush spending the $100 App Store fee before you really need it. This will be a long road and hopefully exciting for you throughout the journey as it is now :)

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks ^^^^^ for that suggestion. I wa going to dive in, but will ooh at the developers lounge and have a look around there at the resources on offer then before i knock off $100 big ones, as i really could be 6months plus before i need anything like that.
To b honest, it was the thought of getting IOS6 early that was pushing me that way lol

Cheers

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Without giving too much away it will be to do with cooking, and ill start with my home country, America (bc of its Population size) and my fav food country Thailand.
Excuse me, what about the friendly chaps in the north?

Apple's iOS developer page would be a decent place to start (here). Specifically, you might want to look at this page.

Warning, this next part is my opinion and not based in fact. If you've never coded in your life, Objective-C may make you want to cry. It's ugly (as are all C languages and Perl), can be tricky and requires a decent understanding of the fundamentals of programming. The upside to this is the power you get. As such, you might want to learn the basics in a more friendly language just so you can get the basics down. For example, although if statements in Python (the best language ever) are different than they are in Objective-C, if statements are universal in that they exist in every language. Thus, you can use Python to learn what an if statement is and then when you go to learn the Objective-C syntax, not everything seem so foreign.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about. Let's say that you wanted to print the numbers 0 to 100 in a console window. Here's the Objective-C code to do it:
Code:
#import <Foundation/Foundation.h>

int main(int argc, const char * argv[])
{
	@autoreleasepool {

for (int i = 0; i <= 100; i++)
		{
			int myCounter = 0;
			myCounter += i;
			NSLog (@"counter = %i", myCounter);
		}
	}
	return 0;
}
And here's Python:
Code:
x = 0
while (x <= 100):
     print(x)
     x += 1
In my eyes, the Python code is much more readable and may be better suited to learning the concepts before you jump into Objective-C. This is not to say that Objective-C is bad (it wouldn't be used by Apple as their primary language it if was) but rather to suggest that it might be a bit intimidating as a first language.

As an aside, you don't have to pay the $99 to develop apps - you can do that for free. I suggest that you fool around with Xcode and iOS development first so that you can save yourself the $99 if you find that it's not for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
You mean polar bears? It's just wilderness between the US border and the North Pole :-D
It's ugly.
Nooo :-D I love the way it takes something from C and something from Smalltalk :-D But then I haven't done much Obj-C coding ...

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Thats right, what was it Poutine ??

Apple's iOS developer page would be a decent place to start (here). Specifically, you might want to look at this page.

Warning, this next part is my opinion and not based in fact. If you've never coded in your life, Objective-C may make you want to cry. It's ugly (as are all C languages and Perl), can be tricky and requires a decent understanding of the fundamentals of programming. The upside to this is the power you get. As such, you might want to learn the basics in a more friendly language just so you can get the basics down. For example, although if statements in Python (the best language ever) are different than they are in Objective-C, if statements are universal in that they exist in every language. Thus, you can use Python to learn what an if statement is and then when you go to learn the Obj-C syntax, not everything seem so foreign.

As an aside, you don't have to pay the $99 to develop apps - you can do that for free. I suggest that you fool around with Xcode and iOs development first so that you can save yourself the $99 if you find that it's not for you.

I appreciate ALL comments and suggestions and will take it all on board. From what i know ATM is Xcode4 does a lot of the hard work for you, with a little knowledge, and for this reason why, i will do there 'Hello World" trial play around to get a feel for it. I have already got those pages Bookmarked myself already and as i said "Hello World" will be my first dive into it.
I have a load of research to do yet on what i want and the content i need to have in it, as well as how i want it to work, play nice for people, and extras, which will be a added bonus for those that buy it.

WHatch this space, BUT don't expect to see anything within 6 months lol
It will take time and i have a lot of that on my hands now.

Thanks Van

Cheers

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I appreciate ALL comments and suggestions and will take it all on board. From what i know ATM is Xcode4 does a lot of the hard work for you, with a little knowledge, and for this reason why, i will do there 'Hello World" trial play around to get a feel for it.
You may be overestimating Xcode's power here. It certainly helps with a lot of the work but you still have to do quite a bit yourself.

You mean polar bears? It's just wilderness between the US border and the North Pole :-D
Oh absolutely. It's kind of like that big gap between Germany and Slovakia. :p

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Code:
#import <Foundation/Foundation.h>

int main(int argc, const char * argv[])
{
	@autoreleasepool {

for (int i = 0; i <= 100; i++)
		{
			int myCounter = 0;
			myCounter += i;
			NSLog (@"counter = %i", myCounter);
		}
	}
	return 0;
}
And here's Python:
Code:
x = 0
while (x <= 100):
     print(x)
     x += 1

I do see what you mean, and no I'm not over thinking what Xcode is capable off. As i said there is a long way to go but I'm keen to get into it. **** ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
If you want to do iOS development, then just focus on Objective C for now, although Python (and various other languages) a good to know/learn at some point (and may be easier to a degree); objective C is what you'll need and delaying working on learning it will just make you take that much longer until you can really develop apps (especially when you have to absorb how memory is handled in Obj-C which is somewhat different from other languages regardless of whether or not you use ARC).

Good luck with it. With a goal in mind and the dedication to reach it, you should be able to reach your goal!

Personally I really enjoy iOS development and Obj-C - it's always fun to be able to create something and see it in action.

One tip though - I know people are suggesting to put off the $99 developer account (which is understandable, since $100 for most of us is not cheap) - don't wait until just before you're ready to submit, the developer account is needed to do debugging on a device which you'll need to do prior to submission since things work in the simulator that won't work on an actual device (what comes with Xcode 4 is a simulator, not an emulator :) )

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you want to do iOS development, then just focus on Objective C for now, although Python (and various other languages) a good to know/learn at some point (and may be easier to a degree); objective C is what you'll need and delaying working on learning it will just make you take that much longer until you can really develop apps (especially when you have to absorb how memory is handled in Obj-C which is somewhat different from other languages regardless of whether or not you use ARC).
I fully agree. However, for someone brand new to programming, it might not hurt to use a simpler language to learn the basics (variables, OOP, control statements, etc.) while learning the corresponding Obj-C ones. As I said earlier though, my dislike of C like syntax clouds my judgment. For all I know, TM will love Obj-C syntax. ;)

Good luck with it. With a goal in mind and the dedication to reach it, you should be able to reach your goal!
Absolutely! Programming can be fun, frustrating, rewarding and disheartening all at the same time. I can't tell you the number of times I've gotten stuck with an error only to find out that I forgot a single character somewhere which leads me to smack my head and feel relieved. It will take perseverance some days but the end product will be worth it if it's done well.

One tip though - I know people are suggesting to put off the $99 developer account (which is understandable, since $100 for most of us is not cheap) - don't wait until just before you're ready to submit, the developer account is needed to do debugging on a device which you'll need to do prior to submission since things work in the simulator that won't work on an actual device (what comes with Xcode 4 is a simulator, not an emulator :) )
Good point. As someone who doesn't do iOS development, I can only talk from a general perspective which would explain why I skipped over this. However, I still think you should wait until you determine that this is indeed what you want to do.

As an alternative, have you considered doing this as a web application? You can do some mighty fine things with web tools, you'd get cross platform support and web apps perform reasonably well (not native application well but respectably so). Plus, it's free and you don't have to get Apple's approval.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Could always try Turbo Pascal (my favorite) which as I remember was developed as a teaching tool for programming.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah yes, high school programming. For me, it was Visual Basic 6 which, in some form or another, will still be supported through Windows 8 (source).

I remember my grade 11 and 12 final projects - grade 11 was "Kung-fu Fighting Challenge" (a stick figure fighting game) and in grade 12, I made a mostly complete Notepad clone. Hmmm, I think I still have "Kung-fu Fighting Challenge" on a disc somewhere at home.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah yes, high school programming. For me, it was Visual Basic 6 which, in some form or another, will still be supported through Windows 8 (source).

I remember my grade 11 and 12 final projects - grade 11 was "Kung-fu Fighting Challenge" (a stick figure fighting game) and in grade 12, I made a mostly complete Notepad clone. Hmmm, I think I still have "Kung-fu Fighting Challenge" on a disc somewhere at home.

Now you're making me feel old!

My first programming class was in college, Fortran punch cards fed into an IBM Watt 5 (believe that is how you spell it) Computer.
Later I got to use Basic on a Dot Matrix equipped terminal (big step up) hooked to the same IBM computer. ;P

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now you're making me feel old!

My first programming class was in college, Fortran punch cards fed into an IBM Watt 5 (believe that is how you spell it) Computer.
Later I got to use Basic on a Dot Matrix equipped terminal (big step up) hooked to the same IBM computer. ;P
There are a lot of words there that I recognize but put together, they make little sense. :p

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are a lot of words there that I recognize but put together, they make little sense. :p

How about I translate?

Me old . . . Computer big shiny box (big as a car) when me learn to program, no fancy schmancy graphics based stuff!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.