MBP as external monitor for desktop?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm not really sure if this is at all possible. Is there a way to use my macbook pro as an external monitor for my desktop pc? I heard Windows has software you can download to do so (Maxivista)?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No. Your MacBook Pro only has a video out port. The only Mac beside the Mac Pro which can accept input video is the 27" iMac which contains both video in and video out ports.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
It might be possible by setting up a VNC connection for screen sharing between the Mac and PC. Without good network speed it will be dog slow though. I'll have to think about that a bit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
It might be possible by setting up a VNC connection for screen sharing between the Mac and PC. Without good network speed it will be dog slow though. I'll have to think about that a bit.

VNC is used to simulate standard input/output though. I don't think it can extend the the desktop since resolution isn't really a key factor here and so on. And yes, it's terribly slow even over local network :-D

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
VNC is used to simulate standard input/output though. I don't think it can extend the the desktop since resolution isn't really a key factor here and so on. And yes, it's terribly slow even over local network :-D

Check out this video which demos Screen Recycler and appears to be in extended desktop mode. video. Although the demo uses two Macs it mentions use with Windows as well. This assumes the Mac will be the "server" but it should work as well the other way.

I am not sure which VNC client would work best for Windows. The page for the older version used to list several.

I was using the extra screen space for tool palates in programs like Photoshop and it was horribly slow. But in fairness I was using a clamshell iBook SE over wireless network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
Great video, but that's Mac-only. I imagine it would be slow even on newer hardware.

You would have to use cross-platform VNC software, I've never used it in such a way, but good luck with your search :)

As you can see, Screen Recycler is further development using the VNC technology, so maybe there are other developers playing around with the same thing across platforms ...

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The earlier version that I used mary have in fact done the opposite of that the OP wants to do now that I think about it a bit more. The ScreenRecycler page mentions using the PC as a screen for the Mac. It should be possible to put a VNC "server" program on the PC and a "client" on the PC.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.