Upgrade ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Intel 2006 1.66
I currently have an Mac mini intel 2006 that I inherited. I want to upgrade, and I would like some feedback. Should I get the new Mac mini, yes, I know that a new version is right around the corner, or should I get a Mac pro 2006 with two 3.0 Xeon 5160 processors (quad core) With 10 gb of ram? Both will have a 500 gb head drive and run lion. The pro would cost me about 200 more than the mini. Would the pro be faster than the mini with the 3.0 quad core vs the 2.3 dual core in the mini. Any help would be appreciated! I do want to use it for video editing home movies.

Medicare Plans

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many to list. Typically use an Intel iMac for most of my stuff and a Mini for web video.
To compare what all they have, I'd recommend MacTracker at the following link:

Mactracker - Get Info on any Mac

If you click on an item the "General" option will show the processor, which is usually highlighted. If it's highlighted, benchmarks exist and a link will show up showing general benchmark stats. You can also get a lot of other information from it about video cards, etc.

Comparing a Mac Pro to a Mac Mini performance wise is kind of like comparing a Ferrari to a Toyota Prius, even if it's a reasonably old Mac Pro. I would be more worried about the Mac Pro's being old and having some "issues" like a faulty power supply, old and maybe failing optical and hard drives, etc. etc.

You might want to do a google on Mac Pro reliability to see if there are any abnormal posts about problems with them. Beware though, people seldom post if everything is working great, only when they have problems.

Hope this helps! :Cool:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.