Keyboard stops working with Photoshop

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I've been having this problem for quite a while, I searched through google for something to help me and couldn't find anything.
The issue is... I use a Mackbook Pro (with Lion) my keyboard sometimes stops working when I use Photoshop (CS6, but happened the same thing with CS5) (mainly when I do digital painting with a Wacom, but just happened now, when I wasn't use it), and it doesn't work at all (not just with Photoshop). Sometimes it starts working again on his own, but sometimes it doesn't so I need to restart the computer. Is there any Terminal command I can use to try to do like a restart to the keyboard? Like the killall Dock command for the Dock?

If anyone could help me, I would appreciate much because this is really annoying.
Thank you :)

C

chas_m

That's a very strange problem you have, I've never heard the like before.

Are we talking about the built-in keyboard on the MacBook Pro? Are you saying (I couldn't quite understand your initial post) that despite the thread title the keyboard sometimes doesn't work OUTSIDE of using Photoshop? Do you mean the drawing tablet is the common thread or ... ?

What happens when you plug in a USB keyboard (any one will do) and use that? Any difference?

OP
F
Reaction score
That's a very strange problem you have, I've never heard the like before.

Are we talking about the built-in keyboard on the MacBook Pro? Are you saying (I couldn't quite understand your initial post) that despite the thread title the keyboard sometimes doesn't work OUTSIDE of using Photoshop? Do you mean the drawing tablet is the common thread or ... ?

What happens when you plug in a USB keyboard (any one will do) and use that? Any difference?

I'm sorry if I didn't explain well, my main language is no english.

The keyboard stops working when I'm using Photoshop, and mainly, when I use my tablet. But as I said, yesterday I wasn't using the tablet, but it stopped working anyway. And It doesn't work outside Photoshop, and that means I'm not able to write anything. The only keys that seem to work are Shift and Cmd I think. When I really need I use the screen keyboard to see if it comes back to normal, and if not, I need to restart the computer to be able to use the keyboard again. I can't plug in an usb one because I don't have any...

So the reason of the problem is when I'm using Photoshop, but then I can't use the keyboard outside the program too. Hope I explained better this time :)

Reaction score
iMac with the same problem

while working with a wireless keyboard in photoshop CS6....using the space bar for a clipping path..the keyboard becomes unresponsive. Its not just in photoshop then...any program. The only resolve is a restart

Has not happened with wired keyboard as of yet

weird

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP Intel Core i7, iPhone 4s, iPhone 2g, iPad 2, iPod mini, iMac Intel Core 2 duo
hmmmm Sounds like some kind of drivers conflict.

I don't profess to know the problem but it sounds like a specific issue with Adobe software conflicting with the built in keyboard. I have a suggestion try taking your tablet and laptop to a friends place or to some type of computer lab where you are able to unplug the usb cable of another computer.... shhhhh ... its just a test you need to know what the root of the problem is and since no one is there to help this will help narrow down a few things... IHeck you can probably go to the Apple store and ask one of the geniuses to have a look at the problem... but thats only if you have one in your area..... ANYWAY try plugging in someone's keyboard into your Macbook and also plug in your tablet and see what happens...

We will then be able to deduce several things... if the keyboard doesn't work then there is clearly something wrong with the tablet itself or the Adobe PS software or some kind of driver issue. It might be something as simple as deleting some preferences who knows but my suggestion is try the USB keyboard solution and come back with your findings...

Oh one more thing was there software installation for the tablet or did you set up the settings of the tablet through the "System Preferences"? I mean try looking at the system preferences and first look at the settings for the tablet (if it has any) and also look at the trackpad settings and the keyboard settings see if there is anything wierd going on. I hope that helps

Reaction score
Possible Solution

Hey faelas, I believe we're having the same problem and I think Ive found a solution for it. I discovered it while playing an online game (left 4 dead). When I hit my option/alt key 5times in a row I couldnt use my keyboard. I was unaware that I was doing it on photoshop as well and I thought about it for a while and I linked the 2.

I use option/alt to zoom in and out when using paths. Then my keyboard stops working. If you're having this problem try to find which key you're hitting consecutively and hit it 5times in a row. I think we're activating a modifier or sticky key.

When i hit my key 5times my laptop beeps, you may have to turn your volume all the way up and set the option to chime (under system preferences>universal access>keyboard) when a modifier key is set.

After my keyboard stops working and I hit my key 5times again, it starts working properly. hope this helps!

OP
F
Reaction score
Hey faelas, I believe we're having the same problem and I think Ive found a solution for it. I discovered it while playing an online game (left 4 dead). When I hit my option/alt key 5times in a row I couldnt use my keyboard. I was unaware that I was doing it on photoshop as well and I thought about it for a while and I linked the 2.

I use option/alt to zoom in and out when using paths. Then my keyboard stops working. If you're having this problem try to find which key you're hitting consecutively and hit it 5times in a row. I think we're activating a modifier or sticky key.

When i hit my key 5times my laptop beeps, you may have to turn your volume all the way up and set the option to chime (under system preferences>universal access>keyboard) when a modifier key is set.

After my keyboard stops working and I hit my key 5times again, it starts working properly. hope this helps!

You are a genius!
It was the Alt key indeed. Thank you for solving my problem!

Reaction score
Thank you, Thank you

Dude,
You are a genius. Don't sell yourself short. I've been having this problem for so long with every program I use. This has been so much help and I hope you live a long a prosperous life, but not if it means everyone else in the world has to suffer.
Sincerely,
JD

Reaction score
This has been plaguing me forever!

I can't tell you how irritated I was by this and how much it slowed me down when editing photos - I have Apple Care and they didn't have a clue. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Reaction score
thanks !!

yes, thank you so much, this has been a great help.. now i can keep working with far less restarts!!!

Reaction score
Brilliant

I just switched to the bluetooth keyboard and immediately started having the problem with the keyboard becoming unresponsive. Very frustrating. I finally did a google search and came across this thread. No more frustration. I would have never put 5 and 5 together like that. brownknee is absolutely a genius.

Reaction score
Thank you!!

THANK YOU BROWNKNEE!! This has been such a nuisance. I can't believe this isn't more widely known. Tons of people must be tapping alt a million times when cloning and such.

Reaction score
This might be a little late for some but, Open System Preferences/Accessibility and select "Mouse and Trackpad". Press the Options button and make sure this box is UN-checked.

Accessibility.jpg

Reaction score
Phew!!!

This problem has been driving me totally nuts, switching daily between accounting in excel (need number pad) and photoshop (using zoom and clone stamp a lot). Used to have to restart the machine every time I switched apps. I knew there was something going on because I could hear the little chirpy sound.

Thank you thank you thank you - so pleased I came across this thread.

:*

Reaction score
thank you thank you

I joined macforums just to thank you! This has been driving me nuts for a long time. I kept thinking it was some stupid osx bug and had to keep logging out and logging back in. Thanks for this!

Reaction score
El Capitan

For those of you looking for the Mouse-Keyboard option in El Capitan, it does not exist. Instead do the following to turn off the Option key 5 times deal.... System preferences>Keyboard>.. under key repeat slide icon to off.

I hope this helps some of you out.

Reaction score
For those of you looking for the Mouse-Keyboard option in El Capitan, it does not exist. Instead do the following to turn off the Option key 5 times deal.... System preferences>Keyboard>.. under key repeat slide icon to off.

I hope this helps some of you out.

I take that back that option does not work, HERE IS THE REAL WAY TO STOP the "press the option key five time to toggle mouse keys".... System Preferences>Accessibility>Mouse & Trackpad>Options>deselect the "press the option key five times..."

This should work.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.