Repiar of an external iMac USB drive after GPT from Windows 7

Reaction score
Repair of an external iMac USB drive after GPT from Windows 7

I have an external hard drive on my iMac with lion. The drive was formatted on this machine, and primarily used for itunes media and for time machine. I noticed that my internet was running slow throughout my house and deduced that this drive, when not plugged in, would speed up the internet significantly. I tried running virus software but had no luck.

I then tried to repair it on my Windows 7 machine. After plugging it in, I selected GPT thinking that the drive could run equally on a Windows or Mac machine.

Now I cannot read the drive on my iMac. Is there an easy fix for this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Mount the drive and open Disk Utility. Erase and format the drive as Mac OS Journaled. (HFS +) And don't try to repair the drive with Windows if you wish it to work with your Mac. Windows will reformat the drive to NTFS which is read only from your Mac.

OP
E
Reaction score
When you format the drive, will that replace the partition that was there?

Reaction score
If you directly format it in windows I think it will do the whole drive, to partition you'll need a different software.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
When you format the drive, will that replace the partition that was there?

How many partitions were on the drive? If only one partition (the entire drive) then just follow the instructions I gave you above. If more than one partition exists on the drive, use Disk Utility to remove the extra partition to make one contiguous partition on the drive. After doing that, you can format it as HFS+.

Again, don't use Windows as it will re-initiate the drive as NTFS.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you directly format it in windows I think it will do the whole drive, to partition you'll need a different software.

The idea is not to format it using Windows. However, when formatting a drive for Windows use, the Disk Management utility can be used to both partition and format.

OP
E
Reaction score
The was only one partition. I would like to keep the data if I could.

I want it to be a Mac drive.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The was only one partition. I would like to keep the data if I could.

I want it to be a Mac drive.

If you format the drive, you will lose all your data. Make sure you copy the data off the drive first, preferably to another drive before formatting.

OP
E
Reaction score
It was formatted with Lion. IT was then initialized with GPT on Windows 7.

OP
E
Reaction score
When I use the AppleXsoft demo version of File Recovery, I can browse the entire volume with proper directory names and file names.

Can I repair this volume "in place"?

Or do they all have top be copied (using this utility) to another volume?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.