Login Issue

Reaction score
My daughter was playing on my MacBook Pro and now the keys are not displaying the correct letters when typing. I rebooted ans now can not log back in because I cannot type in my password due to the keys not displaying the correct letters. I put the install disk in thinking I can reboot holding the 'C' key for a boot menu, but the 'C' key is not correct either. Not sure what to do. Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try resetting the PRAM to see if that gets things back to normal.

Shut down the computer.

Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously.

Turn on the computer.

Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

Release the keys.

OP
M
Reaction score
I tried to reboot with that key combination, but once the computer came to the login screen it just beeped rapidly until I let go. I tried twice same result.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're supposed to let go of the keys before you see the login screen. Look at the last part of the Apple instructions again:

Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

If resetting the PRAM doesn't work, there may be something else wrong with your machine.

OP
M
Reaction score
Got it. Tried again and the keys still don't work properly. Thanks for your help anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2011 13 inch MacBook Pro i5 with 8gb of Ram
how old is your daughter? Ask her what she did if old enough to explain. If no further luck you should take it into the Genius bar at your local Apple store and get it checked out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.