Re-installing OSX

Reaction score
I have a macbook pro 13 inch.

I believe that it did not come with the install disk. So I have a bunch of questions if anyone would be so kind to enlighten me.

I make music using ableton and a load of plugins and I am thinking that reinstalling osx with the latest updates might make ableton run smoother. Am I overestimating the effect of reinstalling with a clean slate?

Can I keep any of the many programs I use when I reinstall or will I have to find all the disks and everything and reinstall?

Are there any other precautions I can take to make my macbook run quicker for music production?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a macbook pro 13 inch.

Which model MacBook Pro do you have (be specific)...and what version of the Mac OS are you trying to reinstall (be specific)?

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
thats funny. i thought i posted the specifics but it must have been on another post.

2.4ghz intel Core i 5
4 GB 1333 Mhz DDr2

not sure if that satisfies the model

and the version is 10.7.4

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
thats funny. i thought i posted the specifics but it must have been on another post.

2.4ghz intel Core i 5
4 GB 1333 Mhz DDr2

not sure if that satisfies the model

and the version is 10.7.4

Thanks for the info. So you have a relatively new 13" MacBook Pro...and you currently have OS 10.7.4 installed.

OS 10.7.4 is the latest version of the OS...so I'm not sure what sort of update you're thinking will speed things up??

One question is...why do you think that your MacBook Pro as it is now is running slow?

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
When I start the computer it freezes at the main loading stage for about 5 minutes. I don't know if this means the whole computer running experience is affected as well but I am skeptical that perhaps a clean re-install couldn't hurt.

If i am being unwise then please tell me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2011 13 inch MacBook Pro i5 with 8gb of Ram
When I start the computer it freezes at the main loading stage for about 5 minutes. I don't know if this means the whole computer running experience is affected as well but I am skeptical that perhaps a clean re-install couldn't hurt.

If i am being unwise then please tell me.
We'll you realize if you reinstall you will delete your hard drive and lose everything. You could try repairing disks in disk utility.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.