Mac Mini not booting after power outage

Reaction score
Hello there,

I live in Northern VA and recently lost power due to the powerful storms that moved through the area. I happened to be performing a system update on my Mac Mini at the time that my power cut out. I'm not sure whether or not the update finished since I was not in my room at the time. After regaining power my Mac Mini no longer boots to the Desktop. It gets stuck on the light grey screen with the Apple Logo and the spinning loader. I have the newest version of the Mini the MC815LL/A so it has no optical drive that I can put the OSX cd into. I tried to boot it in safe mode by holding Command + Shift + V but it keeps getting stuck at this part.

http://i.imgur.com/Y6bYe.jpg

Any and all help regarding this matter is greatly appreciated!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Booting to safe mode involves holding down the shift key after you hear the chime, did you try it that way? Also, you can boot to the Recovery partition by holding down the Command key plus R. Once in recovery you can run Disk Utility or, if necessary, re-install Lion.

And, buy yourself an UPS. (Uninterruptible Power Supply)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I agree with Chscag.

It does sound like the update was updating some important files when the power went out and the files are missing. Try what Chscag said and get back to us.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.