Mac Mini or iMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro: 2.3Ghz i5 Processer, 8GB RAM, OCZ Agility 3 240GB SSD
Hey everyone, I am think about getting a main machine. I currently have a Macbook Pro and use it as my main machine and it is my only computer. I would like to have a main computer and then have my Macbook Pro as my secondary computer. So I have narrowed down my choices to three options.

What I would like to use this machine for:
-Gaming (Dragon Age II, Diablo, Minecraft, Emulators, etc.)
-Video editing
-Photo editing
-Word processing
-School Work (When I do work I tend to multi task and have many applications running at the same time)
-I also host a Minecraft server every once and a while.
-I would like to install Windows on the computer also.

So, here are the computers I have narrowed it down to.
Mac Mini
iMac

If these won't work out I also found a PC I like.

Questions,
Does anybody know when the Mac Mini line will be refreshed?
Does anybody know when the iMac line will be refreshed?
What is the graphics card in the Mac Mini?
Would the iMac be better for gaming?
For my needs what would the best main computer?

I would like to have a quad-core processor.

I don't really have a budget planned out. I would like to get the most bang for my buck.

I was playing around with the configurations on the iMac and I notice the only differences between the base model 21.5" iMac 2.5ghz and the 21.5" iMac 2.7ghz. Is

The graphics card. It is a AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 512MB vs a AMD Radeon HD 6770M with 512MB
What is the difference between these two?

The hard drive. It is a 500GB vs 1TB
I would not mind having a 500GB instead of 1TB
I currently have a 320GB and still have about 220GB free

The processor. It is a 2.5GHz quad-core vs 2.7GHz quad core.
Will .2GHz really make a difference?

I don't really won't to get a Mac Mini because they haven't been refreshed in a while. The hardware is pretty outdated.

I appreciate any help!
Thanks!

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh and in the configuration for the iMac. I noticed you can upgrade the processor. You can change the 2.7GHz to 2.8GHz. This is for $100. Is it worth it? I don't think it is, but if it will make a difference then I might consider it.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One more question. If I got the iMac I would want to be able to upgrade the RAM. I upgraded the RAM in my Macbook Pro, but I had my brothers help to pick out the memory. Can I just have any memory or do I need to choose memory that is compatible or what?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
If you want any sort of decent gaming, you have to go with the iMac, at least in this comparison. It will also, obviously, excel at everything else you need from it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
@OP...Thread moved to more appropriate location. Also, it's not necessary to double post.

Thanks,

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@OP...Thread moved to more appropriate location. Also, it's not necessary to double post.

Thanks,

- Nick

Oh okay, I found out I had posted in the wrong form so I reposted in the correct one. Thanks! I'll remember that next time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many to list. Typically use an Intel iMac for most of my stuff and a Mini for web video.
I think it boils down to cost and cost only. The iMac is clearly ahead of the mini as far as performance goes, but do you need that performance for the money?

The benefits of a mini are that you can pick your own monitor, keyboard, and mouse/trackpad and then re-use it later with a different system. It makes upgrading the system easier, but I think the mini's will always lag the iMacs. iMacs are all using quad core vs. the dual core.

You might want to go to the Apple site and search for problems people might be having with either system and if they're a big deal or not.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think it boils down to cost and cost only. The iMac is clearly ahead of the mini as far as performance goes, but do you need that performance for the money?

The benefits of a mini are that you can pick your own monitor, keyboard, and mouse/trackpad and then re-use it later with a different system. It makes upgrading the system easier, but I think the mini's will always lag the iMacs. iMacs are all using quad core vs. the dual core.

You might want to go to the Apple site and search for problems people might be having with either system and if they're a big deal or not.

Alright, thanks for the reply. So you don't think when they refresh the Mac Mini line it won't catch up with the specs of the iMac?

I have all but gotten rid of the idea of buying a Mac Mini.

Now, about the iMac. Do you think the upgrade from the base model is worth $300?
The main difference are,
The processor which is a .2GHz upgrade.
The hard drive which changes a 500GB to a 1TB (I don't think I need a TB, I currently have a 320GB hard drive and I still have 220GB free.)
The graphics card which is a AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 512MB vs AMD Radeon HD 6770M with 512MB. Is this really a big difference?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many to list. Typically use an Intel iMac for most of my stuff and a Mini for web video.
Unless it's a different type of processor (which it isn't) I wouldn't say it's worth it. The speed difference is 8%. The only real difference is the drive size. With the savings you could go out and buy yourself a whopper of a backup drive - probably a big one, too. Can't help you with the graphics cards other than to suggest you look at google and see if there are benchmarks on them somewhere.

Good luck. :Cool:

PS: I don't know when Apple will update the Mac Mini - why don't you wait until I buy one, then you can be sure they'll put out a new model the following day. ;D

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unless it's a different type of processor (which it isn't) I wouldn't say it's worth it. The speed difference is 8%. The only real difference is the drive size. With the savings you could go out and buy yourself a whopper of a backup drive - probably a big one, too. Can't help you with the graphics cards other than to suggest you look at google and see if there are benchmarks on them somewhere.

Good luck. :Cool:

PS: I don't know when Apple will update the Mac Mini - why don't you wait until I buy one, then you can be sure they'll put out a new model the following day. ;D

Thanks a lot for the help!! I think I'll research the iMac and see if I can figure out when there will be an update... The specs on them right now are actually worse than the new Macbook Pros.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.