Enabling ownership on an external hard drive

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a relatively inexperienced Mac user, and would like some advice if anyone can help.

I'm [attempting to] use OS X Tiger 10.4 on an iMac core duo bought in 2007.

Right, so, the hard drive on my iMac is broken. I have tried to erase and reinstall OSX a number of times and it fails each time. I also ran first aid on the drive and it gave me a load of info which essentially amounted to 'it's broken, sorry'.

So I went to the Apple store and asked them if I can install OSX onto an external hard drive and boot it from there, in order to use the computer by not actually using the internal hard drive. They said I could so that was great (I really cant afford to get a new internal drive and have it installed at the moment).

The problem I'm having is that on all the step by step guides to installing OSX on an external drive it says I need to 'enable ownership and permissions' etc. My understanding is that this needs to be done using terminal, which I can't access because I can't get to Finder in order to open it.

- Is there another way of accessing Terminal e.g. via the start up disks?

- Is there another way of enabling ownership on my drive without using terminal?

- Is it possible to enable ownership using a friend's machine i.e. format and partition the drive using my machine, then accessing terminal via my friend's machine and then installing os x using my machine? Or is it machine-specific?

I don't actually know much about this stuff, so if you could give me lay-person's advice that would be fantastic. I wish I knew more of the tech-jargon!

If anyone can help I would be extremely grateful.

Please be gentle :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.