?:Re: Time Machine concept

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 MacBook (m5), 2013 macbook pro retina 15", 2009 MBP non retina 13", 2014 21" iMac
Hello everyone,

I am about to start using Time Machine and believe i understand how to get it to work.

What I'm confused about is what is being backed up each time......

Lets say i have 100 large RAW photo files that I'm going to have included in my backup initially and perform that backup.

If i were to do nothing else on my MacBook Pro except add an additional 5 RAW photo files and then performed another Time Machine back up, would Time Machine create ANOTHER copy of my original 100 photo files PLUS the 5 new ones, thus giving me 205 files on my computer or would it just add the 5 new files and only use up enough space on my external hard drive for 105 files (not duplicating the first 100)?

Sorry I'm not understanding this and appreciate your help very much as always!

My best to all,

rick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
No it does not duplicate those files. The files themselves are backed up the first time. In subsequent backups a link is made to the file's location in the first backup. When you add files the new files are backed up along with older files that have been changed.

OP
greyhound rick
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 MacBook (m5), 2013 macbook pro retina 15", 2009 MBP non retina 13", 2014 21" iMac
No it does not duplicate those files. The files themselves are backed up the first time. In subsequent backups a link is made to the file's location in the first backup. When you add files the new files are backed up along with older files that have been changed.

Thanks so much Slydude!! Really appreciate the great explanation!! :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
No problem. It can be a bit confusing sometimes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.