Just Bought a New MBA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I just received my new MBA on Thursday, and I just wanted to say that I am thrilled with the purchase. I was a little worried about the MBA not having enough pep to keep me happy, but I can't believe how fast this thing is compared to my 2009 C2D MBP. I am thoroughly impressed.

I opted for an i7 4GB 256GB 2011 refurb from the Apple site for $1199. I waited until the 2012 models came out just to see what new offerings there would be, but I couldn't justify the extra money for improved video and 3.0 USB. I don't need the video to play games, and I only really use external drives for backups. My old MBP is in perfect 10/10 condition. I sold my last 2 year old white MB for $800 on Craigslist, and it wouldn't surprise me if this one goes for about the same. I can write off the new one as a business expense and recoup the taxes so in reality my upgrade could end up only costing me less than $200!

I replace machines every 3 years or so just because I get an itch for something new (and cause it only costs me less than $200). I think this will suit me nicely for the next 3 years. By then, hopefully, there will be a $1200 13" Air or Pro w/ Retina, but for now, I am very happy with my purchase.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
CONGRATULATIONS Jaygray...I'm jealous!!!:)

Your post actually surprised me a bit...since I didn't realize that you could get a 13" MacBook Air with a Core 2 Duo "i7" cpu, 4gig ram, and 256 flash storage...for $1199 refurbished!!!:)

It's got a pretty darn good Geekbench score of 5831 (32-bit mode)...and that i7 cpu supports both "Turbo Boost" and hyper-threading...which can come in handy in some situations.

Congrats again...nice buy!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" I7 first one and loving it.
I'm closing my ears. I have a perfectly good MBP 2010. I don't need a MBA I really don't.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I replace machines every 3 years or so just because I get an itch for something new (and cause it only costs me less than $200). purchase.

Quick somebody get me a vat of anti-itch cream. lol

Seriously Congrats and color me jealous. My newest machine is a 4 year old MB Pro.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
How do you like it so far?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Nice - I did the almost the same thing. I opted for an 11" 2011 - 4GB of RAM 256GB of Flash and the core i7. I was eying the machine but before the new ones came out they were $1399 USD - and it dropped to $1199 USD as well.

I'm keeping my 2009 C2D MBP 17". I am going to throw a 750GB Seagate Momentus XT into it and load Lion Server.

This is a first - but I bought the 11" as I have a Saddleback Leather Satchel - Medium and I can fit the 11" MBA and a New iPad in there (it is a little tight with chargers but I get it all to fit). It is the first time I've ever bought a computer to fit in a bag. That being said the computer runs great. I was actually OK with the smaller model as I bought Air Display. I have my own MiFi (hence a dedicated wifi network) and I can use the New iPad as a second display at the iPad's full retina resolution. I wouldn't play 3D games on it - but it is great for viewing documents, and more static information - so I don't feel restricted by screen size as much.
Air Display: make an iPhone, iPad or Mac an external monitor

I am waiting for either the Belkin Thunderbolt Dock station - or an update to the Apple Thunderbolt display with USB 3.0.
Belkin Unveils Upgraded New Thunderbolt? Express Dock and Thunderbolt Cable at 2012 Computex

I bought the elgato Thunderbolt cable and the Seagate Goflex Thunderbolt adaptor and hooked up a 1.5TB goflex drive. That is working quite well.

All my old MBA peripherals (from the original 13" MBA I bought for my wife when they first came out) seem to work fine. Yeah I only have a USB 2.0 to 100MB Ethernet adapter and a DVD Superdrive (not Blu-Ray) but it is working fine for transfers across the network.

I opted to skin my MBA - Zagg sent me a birthday gift certificate. I got a Zagg skin of the Colorado flag for the top - and a bike for the bottom. I got a carbon fiber print for the wrist rest.
Grunge Flag Colorado skins ZAGGskins
Bike skins ZAGGskins
Carbon Gray skins ZAGGskins
The straight up invisible shield seems thinner than the prints. I just got it so I cannot say anything about longevity yet - but compared to just straight see through invisibile shield - the prints seem thicker/more durable - but only time will tell. I bought an iPearl case but wanted to be as minimal as possible. I'd recommend some kind of more durable case or strong bag around it - if one goes with these stick on protectors.

Hope you are liking yours as much as I am liking mine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.