24" Imac Internal HD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24"
Hi,

I have a 24" sliver cased iMac with an internal Iomega HD of 500Gb capacity. I want to upgrade this machine to 1Tb as I take a lot of photographic images and am thinking about doing the occasional video.
I'm not interested in vid as the primary interest so just want to upgrade to a level that won't struggle with small medium quality movies.
As I'm planning on fitting the drive myself, I'd just like to know if there is a specific type of drive that compliments the iMac, 'or' if there are types to be avoided as they won't work with the unit.

Some further details if needed..
Build... 10K549
Running... 10.6.8
2.8GHz Intel Core 2 duo
4Gb Ram

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Ysbyty

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I personally prefer Western Digital drives but there are others that are probably just as good or perhaps better. Seagate and Hitachi come to mind.

Your iMac takes a SATA 3.5" drive and can either be 5400 RPM or 7200 RPM. I would go for the 7200 RPM drive as it will give you better performance.

For detailed instructions and tools needed to change the drive, go the ifixit web site: iFixit: The free repair manual

OP
Y
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24"
Thanks for the reply 'chscag'. Much appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Be very careful when removing the glass. If you don't pull it straight off you risk a high chance of either bending the frame around the glass or breaking the glass. Other than that, take your time, the iMacs aren't the easiest machines to work on.

OP
Y
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24"
Know this is an old post but due to a virus attack on my e-mail, decided to just bite the bullet and do the upgrade to 1tb and get rid of any possible residual hack problems in the process. Trouble is, having replaced the HD and put everything back together, I inserted the original installation disks to re-install the
mac software and everything went fine until it came to where the software was going to be installed. The option box was empty! No HD recognised.. Have I done something wrong? any help / advise would be appreciated.
Cheers
Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
You have to format the drive for OS X first. Once the installer loads, go up to the Utilities menu and select Disk Utility. Select your new hard drive and format it Mac OS Extended Journaled.

OP
Y
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24"
Thank you Stretch. Knew I'd go wrong somewhere..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.