Recovering MacBook Pro from Time Machine Back Up

Reaction score
When I hold down Command + R to enter recovery mode in OS X Lion I attempt to recover my laptop from my external hard drive. When I do though it asks for my password for my encrypted external hard drive. When I enter it, however, it tells me that the password is incorrect. To verify that it is correct I restart my mac and log into it. From there I get prompted again for my external hard drive's password in order to unlock it for a back up. I enter the password and it unlocks it proving that my password is indeed correct, and it is only wrong when I enter recovery mode upon restart. If you could please help me figure out what is wrong with my password when I try and use it in recovery mode that would be great!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you using FileVault2 to lock the external hard drive or some other encryption scheme?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.