• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

HELP!!! Installed xvid codec but videos still won't play!

Reaction score
So, I've been scanning the web for HOURS trying to get some help with this.

I'm trying to stream some videos online but I keep getting messages that say I need to download the xvid codec to play them. So, I did that... I downloaded it, put the xvid component in the library/quicktime folder, restarted the computer and then tried again. No difference.

Then, I saw a lot of people saying you should use Perian instead (and to uninstall the xvid codec if you did this). I tried installing Perian... no difference. Then I read online that Perian isn't really for streaming, just for downloaded files, so uninstalled that and reinstalled the xvid codec again.

Around this time, I read that VLC almost always worked for people. So I downloaded that, along with a plugin for it. Still, no difference when I tried to play the files. Then, I double-checked Safari under "Help" to check the list of internet plugins, but the VLC plugin isn't showing up in that list, even though the plugin file is in my internet plugin folder on my computer.

Can someone PLEASE help me get these darn videos to play?????? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Please tell us your OS version, quicktime version, and the website where you are getting this message, so we can figure this out.

Reaction score
a few thoughts on this.

The first is that one of the recent exploits for osx required the downloading of a video codec to play a video file. So be cautious about this kind of activity unless you really trust the website.

The second thought is that perian works extremely well and allows the playback of almost any file from within quicktime. That's great news BUT the perian team just announced that they will no longer be developing their software. It is end-of-lifed.

My last thought is that quicktime is probably the worst video playback software at this time. It is really terrible compared to the alternatives. I would encourage you to use vlc which will play anything and works very well. I use it every day.
VideoLAN - Download official VLC media player for Mac OS X

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
VLC is a great option, Mplayer is another good option for you.

I'd say ditch the Divx and go get Perian. Perian - The swiss-army knife of QuickTime® components It's hands down the absolute best solution for playing multiple file formats in Quicktime. Sadly the app development has halted but it will still work for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Do you have a link for the site you're trying?

Steaming using XVID is pretty uncommon

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.