Best software to remove duplicate files and pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
Hi All . . . I have found many instances of duplicated photos and music files on my hdd. I have no idea how that happened...or when. I am shopping for the best and safest app to remove duplicate files and photos and free up wasted hdd space. I am asking the pros here what they use (or would use). Thank you in advance for any help or recommendations.

C

chas_m

For iPhoto, there is an $8 program from Brattoo called Duplicate Annihilator. Excellent.

iTunes has a built-in duplicate finder but its a little clunky. I don't have a recommendation but there are several third-party utilities for that such as dupeGuru - MP3, WMA, OGG, AAC (iTunes) duplicate scanner. There may be cheaper options (including using iTunes' dupe finder to manually remove duplicates) but luckily I've never needed such software.

OP
Dogbreath
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
Thanks chas_m . . .
I was playing with Aperture trying to learn it without RTFM and duplicated photos and stored them in weird places. It is about time for a clean install anyway...I'll live with them for now. But I do appreciate your suggestions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
I have (free) dupeguru (all dupes), dupe_me (Music), dupe_pe (pictures). I found they worked well.. I also tried Araxis Find Duplicate Files (I used it mostly for music) and found that dupeguru found more duplicates and Araxis would also mark a file as duplicate when it wasn't.. I did like it's ability to find items without duplicates. I found that feature most useful because I wanted to erase files from Time Machine and also found files that were in one backup but not in the latest etc., I just wish it worked better than the free dupeguru but all is well ;)

I also have been trying to get my head around and work with Back In Time and Backloupe and now also Crashplan (from what it sounds like it gets rid of duplicates..

Good luck ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27", 3.2 GHz, i5, 16GB 1867 MHz DDR 3, R9 M380 2048 MB
Hi, I needed to do some cleaning up, primarily of documents, but also photos. Was recommended
EasyDuplicateFinder, which I bought. Found it easy to use, and it certainly did the job for me.

M

MacInWin

I've used Gemini. Seems to work well for me. You just drag the folder you want checked to the application and it finds duplicated files for you. Doesn't take automatic actions, lets you make the decision.

OP
Dogbreath
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@joshuarobers . . .It would probably work great if I had a Windows computer...that is Windows software. On what basis do you recommend this software? Did you even read the system requirements?

OP
Dogbreath
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for taking him out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.