Blue Snowball mic for GarageBand

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
I just purchased GarageBand and I am ready to play...almost. My Mac does not recognize my Blue mic. The mic IS connected to a powered USB hub and the red indicator light is on. The mic does not show up in the Mac's System Preferences (Sound) or in the GarageBand Audio/MIDI preferences. I have a LogiTech Quickcam (with mic) 9000 Pro I use for Skype. It is recognized by both the Mac and GarageBand. Will I have to unplug the LogiTech cam whenever I am ready to use GarageBand and plug in the Snowball directly into my Mini and select it as the audio input on both the Mac and GarageBand? Or should the Mac and GarageBand recognize both mics and let me select the input I need at the time? Can I get away with just unplugging the LogiTech from the Mac and running the Snowball via the powered USB hub? OK...I think you have the point...please help me! How would you configure this?

OP
Dogbreath
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
Problem solved...both Mac and GarageBand see this mic and all is well. It was strange, though. While I was trying different USB ports, the Mac suddenly recognized the Snowball. I selected the Snowball as the input device, but there was no level/input coming through into the Mac. GarageBand still failed to recognize the Snowball at all! Suddenly, the Mac lost the Snowball...regardless of the USB port I tried. After 20 minutes, I never got the Mac to see the mic through the USB hub again. I discovered I had one open USB port on the back of the Mini and plugged the Snowball in there. Now both computer and GarageBand see the mic and I have sound input to both. Now I am just curious as to what may have been going on...and ideas or possible explanations?? Thanks!

Reaction score
Mostly these errors occur, when you plug things to hubs and not directly to the computer. Anyway...you solved it on your own and that's the best which could happen:)!

Have a nice day and good look in producing music!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.