What happens when there's too much RAM in iMac

Reaction score
I got a 27 inch iMac 3.1 i5 with 4GB (2x2GB) of memory and just purchased an additional 16GB (2x8GB). I never want to go slow and I like running Lightroom and Photoshop and other stuff at once...
According to the specs the computer maxes out at 16GB but there are four slots in the machine ao I am thinking of using them all.

What happens when I install all of it to make it a total of 20GB???
Will it not read some of it? Do I risk ruining the memory chips???

Seriously? Any power power users out there that have done it?

If you ask why I need so much memory - the answer is it's really cheap. Why not.
I got Crucial and probably should've gone with OWS (way cheaper) but wasn't convinced.

Any comments and insight appreciated :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
it'll run it.

Apple's specs are often incorrect, well.. they're correct for what they sell.. but incorrect for what the system board will support.

If this is a 2011 iMac...
Maximum Memory 32 GB (Actual) 16 GB (Apple)
Memory Slots 4 - 204-pin PC3-10600 (1333 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM

I've been running 16GB of RAM in my 2011 MBP with a stated max of 8GB for quite some time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
it'll run it.

Apple's specs are often incorrect, well.. they're correct for what they sell.. but incorrect for what the system board will support.

If this is a 2011 iMac...
Maximum Memory 32 GB (Actual) 16 GB (Apple)
Memory Slots 4 - 204-pin PC3-10600 (1333 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM

I've been running 16GB of RAM in my 2011 MBP with a stated max of 8GB for quite some time.

Have you tried that with a 2008 mbp? To go over 4Gb? (You have a 2008 in your signature)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I haven't, but OWC/Mactracker (which I find fully accurate) report that the early 08 MBP will run 6GB, and the late will run 8.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If you put more memory in a system than is supported by the logic board, it will just ignore it and use up what it can..there is usually no harm in putting the extra memory, you just won't be using it in all situations..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 i7 2.93 GHz 20 RAM 1 TB
That's my actual RAM configuration

I got a 27 inch iMac 3.1 i5 with 4GB (2x2GB) of memory and just purchased an additional 16GB (2x8GB). I never want to go slow and I like running Lightroom and Photoshop and other stuff at once...
According to the specs the computer maxes out at 16GB but there are four slots in the machine ao I am thinking of using them all.

What happens when I install all of it to make it a total of 20GB???
Will it not read some of it? Do I risk ruining the memory chips???

Seriously? Any power power users out there that have done it?

If you ask why I need so much memory - the answer is it's really cheap. Why not.
I got Crucial and probably should've gone with OWS (way cheaper) but wasn't convinced.

Any comments and insight appreciated :)

I did that and its working on an iMac 27 inch Mid 2010 2.93 mhz (customized) 8 8 and 2 2 = 20 total ram.

It works and detects the memory.

Screen Shot 2012-10-17 at 1.50.00 PM.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.