File Transfer (Flash Drive)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 Mini 2.5 i5, 2009 13" MBP 2.26 C2D
New to Macs (obviously), and I am having issues with the OS behavior...

When I create a new folder on my flash drive and try to copy music over, it duplicates the file on my Mac after it has "copied" to the flash drive. Then, if I try to delete the 2nd copy of the file, it pulls it off of my flash drive.

Any general, or specific advice/tips would be great!

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you copying the music from your iTunes library to the flash drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
This will sound strange, but how do you copy these files? Provide step-by-step information, because no matter how hard I try I can't accomplish what you're describing ... it's intriguing :-D

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 Mini 2.5 i5, 2009 13" MBP 2.26 C2D
1. I open 2 finder windows side by side.
2. I go into the music directory on one, the flash drive directory on the other.
3. Drag the music files from the music directory to the flash directory.
4. My problem occurs: **When I create a new folder on my flash drive and try to copy music over, it duplicates the file on my Mac after it has "copied" to the flash drive. Then, if I try to delete the 2nd copy of the file, it pulls it off of my flash drive.**

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
And this only happens when dragging files to a flash drive? I just can't seem to figure out how to duplicate your problem :-D

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Are you getting any warnings from Finder as the copy his starting? Something akin to "There is already a file/folder by that name. It almost sounds as though both windows are open to the exact same folder. Second question is when you copy are you using the "Duplicate" command?

Clarification Lets say the music folder on the hard drive has a path Bob/Music and that folder on the hard drive has the path Flash/Music. Since the title of both Windows is Music it would be relatively to accidentally have two copies of the same folder open and in effect be copying a second copy of the folder in the same place as the first. You usually try a warning about this though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.