Back on my G5

Reaction score
Well I put the "other computer" away and am back on my G5. It's quite nice to be using my old friend again!

The interesting part is that the computer with the 18,000 geekbench vs. 2000 for the G5 just isn't noticeably faster in Ps and Ai than my many year old G5. On the web and working in office productivity I don't think there is any difference.

It's nice to be back ;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The interesting part is that the computer with the 18,000 geekbench vs. 2000 for the G5 just isn't noticeably faster in Ps and Ai than my many year old G5. On the web and working in office productivity I don't think there is any difference.

This is because most programs are not written for multiple core computers...and if they are...not many multi-core capable apps. are written well.

I recently sold my 8-core (16 thread) Mac Pro that scores 12,000...and I had the same experiences as you. For "normal" stuff...a big powerful computer with all sorts of cores just doesn't make a difference.

- Nick

p.s. I'm not REALLY sure why you made this post...when you're mostly talking about your "other" computer. And you know the rules about that!;)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
But, it is interesting to hear the perspective, especially in view of a post you made recently on G5s.
Agree, though, having said that, this conversation is skirting bounds of our community guidelines.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
But, it is interesting to hear the perspective, especially in view of a post you made recently on G5s.

Most definitely. G5's (for some things can still be very useful). That thread was for a dual-cpu Powermac G5. I have a 20" iMac G5 as well (single cpu)...it does a pretty good job with internet (and other things) as well...and I got the G5 iMac for free (just needed an HD)!:)

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If the caps would have not died in my iMac G5 iSight it would still be doing a good job here. The Intel Mac I own now is faster but it was still very useable.

OP
Germany_chris
Reaction score
This is because most programs are not written for multiple core computers...and if they are...not many multi-core capable apps. are written well.

I recently sold my 8-core (16 thread) Mac Pro that scores 12,000...and I had the same experiences as you. For "normal" stuff...a big powerful computer with all sorts of cores just doesn't make a difference.

- Nick

p.s. I'm not REALLY sure why you made this post...when you're mostly talking about your "other" computer. And you know the rules about that!;)

I made this thread as another way to talk to the threads about C2D iMac vs Core iWhatever, Mac Pro vs iMac, Didn't max out my iMac should I buy more RAM, etc.

This industry tends to tell you that you need to update reasonably often so people think their needs are aligning with the upgrade cycle, when really they're not.

I agree that most programs are not multi threaded, but just one core on the other computer was 4.9Ghz, this thing is 4Ghz in total :Oops:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I made this thread as another way to talk to the threads about C2D iMac vs Core iWhatever, Mac Pro vs iMac, Didn't max out my iMac should I buy more RAM, etc.

This industry tends to tell you that you need to update reasonably often so people think their needs are aligning with the upgrade cycle, when really they're not.

I agree that most programs are not multi threaded, but just one core on the other computer was 4.9Ghz, this thing is 4Ghz in total :Oops:

It's also a different architecture, which will effect many things. So now we're stuck with intel architecture, which means.. if you want to use CS5/5.5/6 you're going to need an intel processor. While potentially not any faster, I can think of things I drastically prefer about 5.5/6 over ohhh say... cs3.

OP
Germany_chris
Reaction score
It's also a different architecture, which will effect many things. So now we're stuck with intel architecture, which means.. if you want to use CS5/5.5/6 you're going to need an intel processor. While potentially not any faster, I can think of things I drastically prefer about 5.5/6 over ohhh say... cs3.

There are things I love about CS 5 and 5.5 but for a VAST majority of what I do CS3 works just fine. The things I do are make banners, fliers, business cards, certificates, design coins etc. nothing really demanding..

Worst case is the money that comes in from the computer that cannot be named goes to a newish MP..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
There are things I love about CS 5 and 5.5 but for a VAST majority of what I do CS3 works just fine. The things I do are make banners, fliers, business cards, certificates, design coins etc. nothing really demanding..

Worst case is the money that comes in from the computer that cannot be named goes to a newish MP..

Exactly, it's always about needs isn't it? :Cool:

Buying based on 'wants' is a bad thing, if you're deriving income from the venture.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.