Alt-key behaves strangely

Reaction score
Hello Mac-Forummers

I have a puzzeling problem, that I haven't been able to solve on my own: Sometimes, whenever I'm pressing the Alt-key, the application focus immediately changes to Finder (even if no folders are open).

I use the alt-key a lot while typing, so it's a really annoying problem :\

Often the problem occurs whenever I launches my text editor, Sublime Text 2, and it remains after I close the editor.

Currently my only fix is a restart of the computer :/

BTW: Running Lion on MacBook Pro.

Really hope someone can give a hint on how to fix this!

Best Regards
Allan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 Macbook Pro. 13 inch. 4 Gigs Ram. Core i7. 750 GB HD.
Take it for diagnosis at the center. I think a software update should solve it.

OP
fitfot
Reaction score
Take it for diagnosis at the center. I think a software update should solve it.

A software update... something that's not pushed througt Software Update...?

I recently formattet the computer... before I did that, there was no problems of this kind (reinstall with internet recovery). I've installed the latest updates for OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
Might be worth a try to look in your system preferences under keyboard>keyboard shortcuts if there is something set that would invoke finder.

What comes to mind is a shortcuts mishap used in Sublime Text (loads of shortcuts there) and some other application, TotalFinder comes to mind from what I use.

OP
fitfot
Reaction score
Might be worth a try to look in your system preferences under keyboard>keyboard shortcuts if there is something set that would invoke finder.

Deactivated all shortcuts using the alt-key, except the cmd + alt + space for bringing up a Finder search window... uses that quite often.

What comes to mind is a shortcuts mishap used in Sublime Text (loads of shortcuts there) and some other application, TotalFinder comes to mind from what I use.

Yep, loads of shortcuts ;D
I haven't installed TotalFinder, or any other finder plugins for that matter.

And by the way: Thanks for the responses :)

Reaction score
If none of that works, try another keyboard to rule out a bad one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
when your focus changes to finder, what folder gets opened?

OP
fitfot
Reaction score
Found out two new things: The focus doesn't necessarily change to Finder – it can be other programs too. I think it’s the program that was last in use. I discovered this when I tried to log in to my webmail account, and thus had to use the alt-key to write a @, and the @ was written in Excel (my last used application) instead of Firefox.
A few minutes ago, something similar happened, between Sublime Text 2 and Xcode. Strangely the problem went away when I plugged in a external keyboard (Logitech Windows USB keyboard, danish keyboard layout).

Any ideas based on this new information will be much appreciated :)

OP
fitfot
Reaction score
Chose to reinstall OS X from scratch once again... it seemed to have fixed the problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.