• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Bloomberg: Apple planning major overhaul of iTunes

Reaction score
Bloomberg: Apple planning major overhaul of iTunes

Apple-iTunes-overhaul%3F-sm.jpg
Following some speculation in the Mac community, news service Bloomberg is quoting unnamed sources "with direct knowledge of the matter" who say that Apple plans a major overhaul of its centerpiece iTunes program for later this year, more fully incorporating iCloud file-storage services, adding the ability to share music to friends, and making the discovery of new media and apps more intuitive....
mf.gif

a2t.img

Read more

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Good for them as long as they don't force me to use iCloud for my music and/or movies. I (like many others I'm sure) don't have the bandwidth at home to do that and being out in the sticks, that bandwidth won't be coming for a long time.

I wouldn't mind enhanced methods of finding apps though. Sometimes it feels like I wade through tons of apps for my devices while looking for the one I want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
In the not so distant future, I'd bet the majority of one's expenses for using computers will be related to maintaining enough bandwidth to access things you own, lease or subscribe to... and the leases and subscriptions needed to make the dumb terminal you purchased actually usable. I would not be shocked if they start making it impossible for you to store tangible items (music, games, music, apps, etc...) discreetly on your own media in a fashion that is readily manipulated. Fun stuff.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
C'mon breaking iTunes up into separate applications! I'd love nothing more than for that to happen although I realize that this is quite a long shot.

I agree with the two gents above - bandwidth is going to be an issue with the ever increasing need to use cloud services. This is partly why I chose a slower plan with considerably more bandwidth. Here's hoping 300GB/mo. is enough. ;)

Reaction score
I like the idea of sharing with friends, although i find it a bit like 'wishful thinking' that when they say share with friends, they mean i can buy once and then my friends can download. So i don't know how this will work. I hope they take my idea on board though :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.