other is taking up too much space

Reaction score
My MacBook is really slow and I checked the system and there is a huge amount of "other". How do I find out what that is so I can delete some files and create more space?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
Hmm, maybe it's just because my imagination is limited, but where did you find this "other"? And what do you mean by "check your system"? :) Please share more information regarding your problem.

To start with, go through your folders like Downloads & Movies to see what you can clear up. You can also run some maintenance utilities like Onyx or CCleaner (not as great the Mac though). Documents can get VERY chunky over time, as well as unneeded applications. Also check your Public folder and ... empty your trash :-D

Besides that if you don't know exactly what you're doing, I'd stay away from Library and System folders - basically use some utilities for clearing old unneeded files here.

Just that it gets listed as other doesn't simply mean you can delete those files :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Reaction score
Look for a program called Disk Inventory X. It will show you where the files are. I use their free program and it works for that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.