Apple Developer Enrollment

Reaction score
Hi,

I am currently registered as a sole trader and want to enroll as an Apple Developer. I trade under a company name (not my own name) and want my apps to appear in the app store as being copyrighted to, and sold by my company.

Apple don't recognise sole traders as companies in their developer programme and make you enroll as an individual. While I have ambitions to grow and eventually incorporate my business, it just isn't worth my while to register as a limited company yet.

Does anyone know if you can enroll as an Apple Developer as an individual, but publish your apps under an alias (in this case, my trading name), so that the seller and copyright appears as my trading name?

Many thanks

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I don't actually know how this works but according to the enrolment page, you can sign up as an individual or as a company (see here). Would signing up as a company work for you?

OP
J
Reaction score
I don't actually know how this works but according to the enrolment page, you can sign up as an individual or as a company (see here). Would signing up as a company work for you?

No, you have to be a limited company to sign up as a company. As I say, Apple don't recognise sole traders/partnerships etc as companies.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I looked at this a long time ago and came to the same conclusion as the OP, either you are an individual or a registered company, there is no in-between. At that point, I wasn't interested in registering/incorporating anything since I was just exploring ideas..

If you are in the US, I believe it is fairly inexpensive to incorporate in Delaware, but I'm sure you've already looked into all of this..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.